1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which base is stronger?

1. Nov 24, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There are two groups of bases, one that contains OH- (example : NaOH), and one that forces water to form OH- (example: NH3). Which of these are the stronger bases? Which are the weaker bases? Why?

Ok so our class just started learning about acids and bases. I've read the pages on the text book regarding bases and i cant seem to find the answer or any kind of evidence.
    Could somebody give me a hint on this question please?:blushing:
    is it related to conductivity?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2007 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

A base renders hydroxide ion in water (assuming solutions in water as the solvent). Metal hydroxides such as of potassium or sodium (or cesium ? ) ionize in order to supply the hydroxide; at least for sodium and potassium hydroxides, the compounds ionize in water to great extent. Something like ammonia must HYDROLYZE with water to render ammonium hydroxide. Then the ammonium hydroxide will ionize.

Maybe there is another way to describe that with ammonia. Ammonia, a base, reacts with water, which behaving as an acid. The result is ammonium hdroxide, which now can ionize in water. This makes me wonder, how thoroughly does the ammonia react with the water as a neutralization reaction? Is dissolved ammonia present more as ammonia or more as ammonium hydroxide?

4. Nov 25, 2007 #3

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So the amount of ionization of the compound should give you a clue.
    Have you searched the internet for more information?
    Here are a couple or references found using key words "strong base" "weak base"

ref1
    ref2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?