1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which drawing represents an AC generator?

Tags:
  1. Apr 16, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A magnet bar has been installed in the vertical rotation axis of a coil. Which of these drawings represents an AC generator?
    tcOAm.jpg

2. Relevant rules

Fleming's right-hand rule.

3. The attempt at a solution

Fleming's right-hand rule assumes that the coil is in motion, but in the drawings the magnet is in motion, and that's what made me not able to know how to apply it correctly here. So could anyone give me some hints, please?
    I think both (a) and (b) could be AC generators, but the problem statement says that only one is correct.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2017 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Draw some field lines and see in which drawing(s) they could be in a direction perpendicular to the plane of the loop as the magnet rotates.

4. Apr 16, 2017 #3

David Lewis

Gold Member

I don't see significant difference between (a) and (b).
    Also, what is meant by vertical rotation axis?

5. Apr 16, 2017 #4
    Ok, here is it:
    awpsP.jpg
    And from that figure I would exclude drawing (c), but still (a) and (b) have a chance to be AC generators, right?
    I agree with you regarding (a) and (b), and also I don't understand what does it meen by saying "vertical rotation axis"!

6. Apr 16, 2017 #5

cnh1995

Homework Helper

The emf should be induced "along" the length of the coil. For this to happen,a component of magnetic field, "linear" velocity (instantaneous) 'v' of the magnet and length of the coil should be perpendicular to each other.

7. Apr 16, 2017 #6
    Ok, I think this happens in both (a) and (b), doesn't it?

8. Apr 16, 2017 #7

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Looks like it does.
    So both a and b can be generators.

9. Apr 16, 2017 #8
    That's what confuses me actually, because the book says only one drawing is correct. Some people told me that may there be something regarding " the vertical rotation axis" which I don't understand, neither I understand what does it mean by "vertical rotation axis".

10. Apr 16, 2017 #9

cnh1995

Homework Helper

If you just rotated b through 90 degrees CCW, you'll get a (I haven't checked the polarity).
    So I think both the options are correct.
    They have specified the axis of rotation and direction of rotation of the magnet in each case. So you need not think what vertical axis means here.

Does your book provide the answer?

11. Apr 16, 2017 #10
    No, it doesn't. But in the problem statement it is clear that it considers only one drawing could be a generator, or that's what I think.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted