Which drawing represents an AC generator?

In summary: No, it doesn't. But in the problem statement it is clear that it considers only one drawing could be a generator, or that's what I think.
Asmaa Mohammad

Homework Statement

A magnet bar has been installed in the vertical rotation axis of a coil. Which of these drawings represents an AC generator?
tcOAm.jpg
2. Relevant rules

Fleming's right-hand rule.

The Attempt at a Solution

Fleming's right-hand rule assumes that the coil is in motion, but in the drawings the magnet is in motion, and that's what made me not able to know how to apply it correctly here. So could anyone give me some hints, please?
I think both (a) and (b) could be AC generators, but the problem statement says that only one is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw some field lines and see in which drawing(s) they could be in a direction perpendicular to the plane of the loop as the magnet rotates.

I don't see significant difference between (a) and (b).
Also, what is meant by vertical rotation axis?

kuruman said:
Draw some field lines and see in which drawing(s) they could be in a direction perpendicular to the plane of the loop as the magnet rotates.
Ok, here is it:
awpsP.jpg

And from that figure I would exclude drawing (c), but still (a) and (b) have a chance to be AC generators, right?
David Lewis said:
I don't see significant difference between (a) and (b).
Also, what is meant by vertical rotation axis?
I agree with you regarding (a) and (b), and also I don't understand what does it meen by saying "vertical rotation axis"!

The emf should be induced "along" the length of the coil. For this to happen,a component of magnetic field, "linear" velocity (instantaneous) 'v' of the magnet and length of the coil should be perpendicular to each other.

cnh1995 said:
The emf should be induced "along" the length of the coil. For this to happen,a component of magnetic field, "linear" velocity (instantaneous) 'v' of the magnet and length of the coil should be perpendicular to each other.
Ok, I think this happens in both (a) and (b), doesn't it?

Asmaa Mohammad said:
Ok, I think this happens in both (a) and (b), doesn't it?
Looks like it does.
So both a and b can be generators.

cnh1995 said:
Looks like it does.
So both a and b can be generators.
That's what confuses me actually, because the book says only one drawing is correct. Some people told me that may there be something regarding " the vertical rotation axis" which I don't understand, neither I understand what does it mean by "vertical rotation axis".

Asmaa Mohammad said:
That's what confuses me actually, because the book says only one drawing is correct. Some people told me that may there be something regarding " the vertical rotation axis" which I don't understand, neither I understand what does it mean by "vertical rotation axis".
If you just rotated b through 90 degrees CCW, you'll get a (I haven't checked the polarity).
So I think both the options are correct.
They have specified the axis of rotation and direction of rotation of the magnet in each case. So you need not think what vertical axis means here.

Does your book provide the answer?

cnh1995 said:
Does your book provide the answer?
No, it doesn't. But in the problem statement it is clear that it considers only one drawing could be a generator, or that's what I think.

1. What is an AC generator?

An AC generator, also known as an alternator, is a device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy in the form of alternating current (AC).

2. How does an AC generator work?

An AC generator works by using a rotating magnetic field to induce an alternating current in a stationary conductor. The rotation of the magnetic field is typically achieved by using a turbine or engine to spin the rotor of the generator.

3. What are the main components of an AC generator?

The main components of an AC generator include a rotor, stator, and brushes. The rotor is the rotating part of the generator that contains the magnetic field, while the stator is the stationary part that contains the conductors. Brushes are used to transfer the generated electricity from the stator to an external circuit.

4. How is an AC generator different from a DC generator?

The main difference between an AC generator and a DC generator is the type of current they produce. AC generators produce alternating current, which periodically changes direction, while DC generators produce direct current, which always flows in the same direction.

5. Which drawing represents an AC generator?

The drawing that represents an AC generator typically shows a circular rotor with a stator surrounding it. There may also be arrows indicating the direction of rotation and the flow of current. Some drawings may also include labels for the different components of the generator.