Which is the best book for 12th grade chemistry

In summary: After reading the very negative comment I thought it was just me being a math guy and the fact it uses, horror of horrors, calculus. I only had a passing interest in Chemistry anyway which is why I got the book - it seemed more suited to my background than other stuff like what seemed to be the common Zumdahl.I thought it was fine, explaining concepts well, but then again I am primarily a math guy with an interest more in physics than chem.
smart_worker
these are the topics which i want:
  1. atomic structure
  2. periodic classification of elements
  3. s,p,d,f blocks
  4. co-ordination and bio co-ordination compounds
  5. radioactivity
  6. solid state
  7. chemical equilibrium
  8. chemical kinetics
  9. thermodynamics
  10. surface chemistry
  11. electrochemistry
  12. stereochemistry
  13. alcohols
  14. ethers
  15. aldehydes
  16. ketones
  17. carboxylic acid
  18. amine

please give me a link where i can download the book

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know calculus? Is this for your own enjoyment or to supplement a class predominantly?

Also, unless the book is publicly available there is a policy against providing links to downloads of most textbooks.

Indeed.

If you know Calculus the book to get IMHO is Chemical Principles - Quest For Insight:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1429288973/?tag=pfamazon01-20

And, it is against forum rules to give links to download unless its publicly available such as a pre-print or something like that.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
To reiterate, especially those who wish to respond to the OP, under no circumstances are links to illegal copyrighted book download allowed in this forum. This is explicitly stated in the PF Rules. Providing such a link may result in a severe infraction up to and including an outright ban, especially when I've posted an additional warning in this message.

Zz.

bhobba said:
If you know Calculus the book to get IMHO is Chemical Principles - Quest For Insight:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1429288973/?tag=pfamazon01-20

In my oppinion, Atkins is just horrible. I remember his book on physical chemistry which is full of circular logic, e.g. he starts out from some heuristical definitions of temperature in terms of gas thermometers and mentions that an exact definition will be given later.
Then he derives S=Q/T and then defines T as dS/dU.
On his book on theoretical chemistry my former teacher simply remarked that Atkins hasn't understood quantum mechanics.

Last edited by a moderator:
DrDu said:
In my oppinion, Atkins is just horrible. I remember his book on physical chemistry which is full of circular logic, e.g. he starts out from some heuristical definitions of temperature in terms of gas thermometers and mentions that an exact definition will be given later.
Then he derives S=Q/T and then defines T as dS/dU.
On his book on theoretical chemistry my former teacher simply remarked that Atkins hasn't understood quantum mechanics.

I've read both the Physical Chemistry and the Quest of Insight books, and I have to say that, while I agree with you on the Pchem book (McQuarrie Simon is my pick here), Quest for Insights is not that bad for casual learning of basic chemistry. Simple concepts, almost self contained chapters (as long as that is possible), lots of (simple, perhaps too simple) examples and very nice graphics.
Other chemistry books on the same level are those by Silberberg and Whitten. I could not say I would be totally satisfied with them (why, why, why all those useless photographs? Put some more equations instead!), but they are an acceptable solution for starters. What is outrageous is the price! Find a used copy or rent them from a library!

Oxtoby is pretty good for thermodynamics and quantum.

SredniVashtar said:
Quest for Insights is not that bad for casual learning of basic chemistry. Simple concepts, almost self contained chapters (as long as that is possible), lots of (simple, perhaps too simple) examples and very nice graphics.

After reading the very negative comment I thought it was just me being a math guy and the fact it uses, horror of horrors, calculus. I only had a passing interest in Chemistry anyway which is why I got the book - it seemed more suited to my background than other stuff like what seemed to be the common Zumdahl.

I thought it was fine, explaining concepts well, but then again I am primarily a math guy with an interest more in physics than chem.

Thanks
Bill

1. What is the recommended book for 12th grade chemistry?

The best book for 12th grade chemistry will depend on the specific curriculum and teaching style of your school. It is best to consult with your teacher or school counselor for their recommendation.

2. Is there a specific book that covers all the topics in 12th grade chemistry?

While there are many comprehensive chemistry textbooks available, it is important to note that different schools may cover different topics in their 12th grade curriculum. It is best to check with your teacher or school to ensure that the book you choose covers all the necessary topics.

3. Are there any online resources that can supplement a chemistry textbook?

Yes, there are many online resources such as Khan Academy, Chemguide, and Crash Course Chemistry that can provide additional explanations, practice problems, and videos to supplement a textbook.

4. Is it necessary to buy a new edition of the textbook?

It is generally recommended to use the most recent edition of a textbook as it may have updated information and resources. However, if your school is using an older edition and you are unable to purchase a newer one, it is still possible to use the older edition.

5. Can I use a college-level chemistry textbook for 12th grade?

Using a college-level chemistry textbook for 12th grade may be too advanced for some students and may cover topics that are not included in the high school curriculum. It is best to stick with a textbook specifically designed for 12th grade chemistry.