Which minor is the best complement to an engineering major, finance or economics

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's plans to pursue a degree in engineering with some free electives and their goal to become an engineering manager in a high tech company. They are interested in studying either finance or economics and seek advice on which would be more beneficial for their career. They mention consulting a friend's uncle, who is a professional engineer, who recommends finance or industrial relation subjects. The speaker ultimately chooses a triple finance major in investment, corporate, and quantitative finance. They express hope for a more informed answer from someone currently working in the industry.
Link
So I'll be doing a degree in engineering but will have some space for some free electives and see myself working as a engineering manager in a high tech company in the future. My goal is to earn as much money as possible. (yes I am a modern ebenezer scrooge:D) Thus I'm interested to know which of finance or economics would be the better choice to study at this stage?

Physics news on Phys.org
When i was planning my degree (Im an engineering and business double degree), i asked the same question. I didnt really know who to ask since i didnt know any professional engineers, however, a friend of mine's uncle is an engineer who i believe has worked a fair way up the corporate ladder. While i didnt speak to him directly, my friend (who is also doing the same double degree) did. This guy said either finance or industrial relation subjects would be most applicable to a career in engineering. Luckily, finance is what i was interested in so i ended up choosing a triple finance major in investment/corporate/quantitative finance :smile:

Hopefully someone who does actually work in the industry can better answer your question.

I would recommend studying finance as the best complement to an engineering major. While economics may also have some relevance to engineering, finance has a more direct connection to your stated goal of earning as much money as possible in a high tech company. Finance focuses on managing and investing money, which is a crucial skill for any engineering manager in a competitive industry. Additionally, understanding financial concepts and strategies can help you make informed decisions and contribute to the financial success of the company you work for. In today's rapidly evolving tech industry, having a strong foundation in finance can also open up opportunities for you to work in financial technology companies or startups. Overall, studying finance as a minor would be a valuable asset to your engineering degree and career aspirations.

1. Which minor would provide a better understanding of business concepts - finance or economics?

Both finance and economics minors can provide a strong foundation in business concepts, but they focus on different aspects. Finance focuses on the management of money and investments, while economics focuses on the production, distribution, and consumption of goods and services. Therefore, it ultimately depends on your personal interests and career goals.

2. Will a minor in finance or economics be more beneficial for an engineering major pursuing a career in the tech industry?

Both minors can be beneficial for a career in the tech industry. A minor in finance can provide a better understanding of financial management and investment decisions, while a minor in economics can provide insights into market trends and consumer behavior. It is recommended to research the specific field within the tech industry you are interested in to determine which minor would be more applicable.

3. Do engineering majors with a minor in finance or economics have a higher chance of getting hired?

Having a minor in finance or economics can make an engineering major stand out to potential employers, as it shows a well-rounded skillset and a strong understanding of business principles. However, the hiring decision ultimately depends on the individual's qualifications and how well they perform in the job interview.

4. Will a minor in finance or economics make an engineering major more competitive in the job market?

A minor in finance or economics can make an engineering major more competitive in the job market, as it demonstrates a broad knowledge base and the ability to think critically about business-related topics. However, it is important to note that experience and practical skills are also highly valued by employers.

5. Can a minor in finance or economics help an engineering major transition into a career in finance or economics?

A minor in finance or economics can provide a solid foundation for an engineering major to transition into a career in these fields. However, additional education or training may be necessary to gain more specialized knowledge and skills. It is recommended to research the specific job requirements and consider internships or networking opportunities to make a successful transition.