Which Observational Project sounds funner/easier?

• Thread starter RockenNS42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Project
In summary, the conversation discusses various opportunities for amateur astronomers to contribute to scientific knowledge through observations. These include observing and calculating the orbit and diameter of an asteroid, generating a light curve for a variable star, and using standard stars to create an HR diagram and estimate the age of an open cluster. The conversation also mentions the importance of numbers in science and the potential for amateur astronomers to have fun and contribute to research through organizations such as AAVSO. Finally, it suggests the possibility of using open source stellar evolution models to study and create isochrones for further understanding of stellar evolution.
RockenNS42
1-Observing and Asteroid. Determine is orbit with a CCD camera and calculate its diameter(3-5 nights)
2-Observing a Variable Star. Over several nights observe a variable star and generate a light curve
3-Open Cluster HR Diagram. Observe starts in an open cluster and by using standard starts make an HR diagram and estimate age

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Variables stars are very easy to observe and generate a light curve for. You could also add to your list Exoplanet Transit Light Curves. I've done one of those myself. If you've got at least an 8 inch telescope, a monochrome camera, and a fairly dark sky you can do it. (It's what I used)

Variable stars are a good opportunity for an amateur to contribute to science knowledge. AAVSO is a leader in this field. Numbers matter in science.

I'd go with two, because you are doing real and important research. Asteroids have had their orbits measured and we've already done HR diagrams of open clusters. On the other hand, the fact that on date X, the magnitude of star Y was Z is quite important information.

One other thing with asteroids is measuring their orbits and diameters isn't that useful (i.e. someone has done it before). Measuring rotational light curves is somewhat more useful.

Also, you can have fun with this web site

http://www.aavso.org/

Ok, thanks! I was doing a bit of research myself as well, and that one does seem to be the best! :)

3 seems most interesting to me since it involves observations plus some astrophysics to determine the age.

matt.o said:
3 seems most interesting to me since it involves observations plus some astrophysics to determine the age.

3 would be a nice *theoretical* project. There are some open source stellar evolution models online and it would be an interesting project to play with the models to get you an isochrone.

1. What are some fun and easy observational projects for beginners?

Some fun and easy observational projects for beginners include studying bird behavior in your backyard, observing cloud formations and predicting weather patterns, tracking the phases of the moon, and observing changes in plant growth over time.

2. How can I make my observational project more interesting?

To make your observational project more interesting, consider choosing a topic that you are passionate about or that relates to your everyday life. You can also try adding a creative element, such as creating a time-lapse video of your observations or making a visual representation of your data.

3. Are there any observational projects that can be done indoors?

Yes, there are many observational projects that can be done indoors, such as monitoring changes in indoor air quality, observing the behavior of pets, or tracking changes in the color of leaves on indoor plants.

4. How much time should I dedicate to my observational project?

The amount of time you should dedicate to your observational project will depend on the specific topic and your goals. However, it is recommended to spend at least a few hours each week consistently observing and recording data.

5. Can observational projects be done in a group?

Yes, observational projects can be done in a group. In fact, working with others can be beneficial as it allows for a larger pool of data and different perspectives. It is important to have clear guidelines and roles within the group to ensure everyone is contributing equally.