Which of the following are saturated hydro carbons?

• Thread starter BTe
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a chemistry question asking which of four compounds are saturated hydrocarbons. The speaker remembers that three are alkanes and the remaining one has a c-c=o bond and OH group, making it a carboxylic acid. They clarify that carboxylic acid is not a hydrocarbon and the question may have been asking about a side chain. Using elimination, the speaker concludes that the remaining carboxylic acid is the correct answer.
BTe

Homework Statement

I did my chemistry diploma yesterday and a numerical response question asked which of the 4 are saturated hydrocarbons?

I can't remember all of them but here's what i remember:

Homework Equations

--N/A--

The Attempt at a Solution

**sorry I can't illustrate the hydrocarbons, but ill try my best to explain**

I managed to figure out three of them, as they were single bonded - alkanes, and it came down to 3 left.

2 of which had c=c bonds, and one had a c-c=o bond and also branched off with OH - making it a carboxylic acid.

The single bonded to double bond O c-c=o would be saturated right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Carboxylic acid is not a hydrocarbon, so depending on the exact wording it could be either a trick question, or it asked about a side chain (only carbon-carbon bonds are taken into account when determining saturation).

Okay, the exact wording probably went along the lines of which include saturated hydro carbon groups. So in that case, using elimination, I know that the other 2 compounds with c=c bonds are incorrect, leaving me with this last carboxylic acid. Thanks!

1. What is a saturated hydrocarbon?

A saturated hydrocarbon is a hydrocarbon molecule that contains only single bonds between carbon atoms. This means that all of the carbon atoms are "saturated" with the maximum number of hydrogen atoms, hence the name "saturated hydrocarbon."

2. How are saturated hydrocarbons different from unsaturated hydrocarbons?

Saturated hydrocarbons have only single bonds between carbon atoms, while unsaturated hydrocarbons have one or more double or triple bonds between carbon atoms. This results in a different structure and properties for the two types of hydrocarbons.

3. What are some examples of saturated hydrocarbons?

Saturated hydrocarbons include alkanes, cycloalkanes, and some types of alcohols. Some common examples are methane (CH4), propane (C3H8), and butane (C4H10).

4. How are saturated hydrocarbons used in everyday life?

Saturated hydrocarbons are used in a variety of ways in everyday life. They are used as fuels, such as in gasoline and propane, and as raw materials in the production of plastics, rubber, and other materials. They are also used in personal care products, such as in the form of paraffin wax.

5. Are saturated hydrocarbons harmful to the environment?

Saturated hydrocarbons themselves are not harmful to the environment, as they are naturally occurring compounds. However, their combustion can release harmful pollutants into the air, contributing to air pollution and climate change. It is important to use these hydrocarbons responsibly and find ways to reduce our reliance on them for energy.