Which of the following are saturated hydro carbons?

  • Thread starter Thread starter BTe
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
BTe
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I did my chemistry diploma yesterday and a numerical response question asked which of the 4 are saturated hydrocarbons?

I can't remember all of them but here's what i remember:

Homework Equations



--N/A--

The Attempt at a Solution

**sorry I can't illustrate the hydrocarbons, but ill try my best to explain**

I managed to figure out three of them, as they were single bonded - alkanes, and it came down to 3 left.

2 of which had c=c bonds, and one had a c-c=o bond and also branched off with OH - making it a carboxylic acid.

The single bonded to double bond O c-c=o would be saturated right?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Carboxylic acid is not a hydrocarbon, so depending on the exact wording it could be either a trick question, or it asked about a side chain (only carbon-carbon bonds are taken into account when determining saturation).
 
Okay, the exact wording probably went along the lines of which include saturated hydro carbon groups. So in that case, using elimination, I know that the other 2 compounds with c=c bonds are incorrect, leaving me with this last carboxylic acid. Thanks!