1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which of the following are saturated hydro carbons?

1. Jun 27, 2012 #1

BTe

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I did my chemistry diploma yesterday and a numerical response question asked which of the 4 are saturated hydrocarbons?

I cant remember all of them but here's what i remember:

2. Relevant equations

--N/A--

3. The attempt at a solution**sorry I cant illustrate the hydrocarbons, but ill try my best to explain**

I managed to figure out three of them, as they were single bonded - alkanes, and it came down to 3 left.

2 of which had c=c bonds, and one had a c-c=o bond and also branched off with OH - making it a carboxylic acid.

The single bonded to double bond O c-c=o would be saturated right?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2012 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Carboxylic acid is not a hydrocarbon, so depending on the exact wording it could be either a trick question, or it asked about a side chain (only carbon-carbon bonds are taken into account when determining saturation).

4. Jun 27, 2012 #3

BTe

Okay, the exact wording probably went along the lines of which include saturated hydro carbon groups. So in that case, using elimination, I know that the other 2 compounds with c=c bonds are incorrect, leaving me with this last carboxylic acid. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook