Which of these technologies would be hard to do in Star Wars?

In summary, the technologies that would be challenging for a scientist in Star Wars to create are femtotechnology, the Alcubierre drive, and warp drive. None of these are beyond realization in the Star Wars universe, and the staples - AG, AI, FTL - are clearly already present.
Maximum7 said:
That being said: What could be worked on by scientists in Star Wars?
The Star Wars universe is in desperate need of better kitchen technology.
So e.g. these much desired meals can be prepared:
  • Chili Con Jar Jar.
  • Ewok Stir-Fry.
  • Cooked Porg and rice soup.

Likes davenn
Physics news on Phys.org
Maximum7 said:
What could be worked on by scientists in Star Wars?
I can't speak for the rebels, but it is plainly obvious that the Sith/Empire/First order definitely needs to improve their defenses of the Death Star technologies. They can blow up planets, but they sure can't defend their big guns.

Likes davenn
Do any of you recall reading a Star Wars book (Legends or Canon) where you recall them implying or downright stating something that could NOT be achieved with their current science and technology

I have two examples from Legends I found. One was in Tatooine Ghost, where a dehydrated Han Solo remarked that with all the “eggheads” in the galaxy; none of them could create a substitute for water in humans in a pill or injection

Also in another book, the Hapan Prince Isolder said that telescopes aren’t powerful enough to see people as they were hundreds of years ago on distant planets

However, I think nu-canon telescopes can probably do that.

Anything else?

i’m not sure but it seems like creating an artificial universe would take more energy than is available in our universe

Whipley Snidelash said:
i’m not sure but it seems like creating an artificial universe would take more energy than is available in our universe

What makes you think that?

Tghu Verd said:
What makes you think that?
I probably made the error of assumption that you would be creating a universe the size of ours which you probably wouldn’t have to do. But even so you would first need all the Energy that’s contained in the universe you’re creating plus the energy to create it plus the energy loss of any inefficiency in the creation. If you try to create a universe the size of ours, that’s more energy than there is here.

Well, ours didn't arrive the size it was, so perhaps there is a mechanism of less is more? It's all conjecture without some kind of calcs to model it out, so I don't think you can assume anything until you have a theory of how a new universe might be created in the first place.

It may not have been the size but I think it had all the energy. If you’re referring to the big bang theory that isn’t proven or established science. And I personally doubt it happened

• Haha
Likes davenn
russ_watters said:
Having never read any of the books and preferring to view the original trilogy as the only canon, I'll say The Force is just magic, and no explanation is needed (or desired).

And really, the midi-chlorians don't actually provide any useful explanation or insight. Their only value is to enable a blood test, which is pointless.

I used to think I could see midi-chlorians in my eyes under certain conditions. Turns out I could actually see when the light was just right blood cells flowing through the veins inside my eyes. At first I thought they were just random movements but then I noticed that the they follow the same path one after another. I was severely disappointed.

Whipley Snidelash said:
If you’re referring to the big bang theory that isn’t proven or established science.

Even though this is the SF forum, false claims about actual science are still not permitted. Please bear that in mind.

• Skeptical
Likes hmmm27, ChemAir, davenn and 1 other person