Which radius (r or R) should you use? Why?

• Thread starter shimizua
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radius
In summary, we related the translational velocity to the angular velocity of a rolling wheel of radius r. By using the equations v = 2p r / T and w = 2p/T, we can find an expression for w in terms of v. When applying the first equation, we should use the radius r instead of R since it is the only one mentioned in the statement and equation.
shimizua

Homework Statement

A rolling wheel of radius r has translational velocity v as well as angular velocity w. Here you will relate translational velocity to angular velocity. Since the circumference of a circle of radius r is 2p r, every time the center of mass moves a distance 2p r, the object rotates a full circle (2p radians). If this happens in a time T then
v = Dx/Dt = 2p r / T (1)
and w = Dq/Dt = 2p/T (2)
Combine these equations to find an expression for w in terms of v.

2.When applying equation 1 (in question 1) to our system, which radius (r or R) should you use? Why?

Homework Equations

so i figured out the first question, i was just putting it up so you knew what was going on. But as far as equations i don't think there would be any for this question

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it should be r since in the equation and statement they only refer to r and not R

Physics news on Phys.org
Just divide the two equations and solve the resulting equation for w.

. R may be the radius of the entire wheel, but since we are talking about the center of mass and rotational motion, r should be used.

What is the difference between r and R in terms of radius?

The lowercase r typically refers to the radius of a circle or sphere, while the uppercase R usually represents the radius of curvature in a curved surface or object. However, this can vary depending on the context in which r or R is being used.

When should I use r instead of R, or vice versa?

The choice between using r or R as the radius depends on the specific problem or equation being solved. In some cases, one may be more appropriate than the other. For example, in a geometry problem involving a circle, r would be used as it is the standard notation for the circle's radius.

Can I use r and R interchangeably?

No, r and R cannot be used interchangeably. As mentioned before, they have different meanings depending on the context. Using the wrong notation could lead to incorrect calculations and results.

Why is the radius sometimes represented as r and other times as R?

The use of r or R as the radius is often a matter of convention or notation preference in a particular field of study. Some disciplines may use r more frequently, while others may use R. It is important to understand the difference and use the correct notation for the given problem.

Is there a standard notation for radius in mathematics and science?

There is no universal standard notation for radius in mathematics and science. However, r and R are commonly used and recognized notations. It is always best to clarify which variable represents the radius when presenting or solving a problem.