White light interference pattern and its resolution criteria

In summary, the conversation discusses the interference patterns observed in a Michelson interferometer for white light and monochromatic light sources. The speaker offers insights on how to approach a specialized question about the arrangement and mentions the two types of configurations - plane wave and diffuse source - and their corresponding interference patterns. They also suggest that more material should be presented on the topic and that the spacing between the arms of the interferometer needs to be very small to observe interference with white light. The conversation ends with a suggestion to map out the ring patterns for different wavelengths and angles.
Clara Chung

Homework Statement

33.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to do part d.
For di, i know that separation of arm d should be small in order to have spatial coherence.
For dii, what is the meaningful criterion, can I say the primary max of blue light lies on the first zero of red light?
I have no idea of part iii too. Please help.

Attachments

• 33.png
    33.png
    91.3 KB · Views: 832
Physics news on Phys.org
Part (d) especially is asking you to answer a rather specialized question without giving much detail on the particular arrangement. There are two types of Michelson configurations=plane wave and diffuse source. The plane wave form results in the entire screen seeing an intensity that depends on the interference. For the diffuse source type, you get a series of rings. See the following "link" post 3: https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...michelson-interferometer.933638/#post-5902650 ## \\ ## In my opinion, [Edit: The "white light" interference, upon working out the details, (and seeing that you won't get a true rainbow effect), appears to be of somewhat secondary significance =the detail of the "white light' interference was previously omitted in my classwork and laboratory schooling that I had using the Michelson interferometer], they would do well to present more material, and quiz you on that. It appears you are kind of on the right track though=for white light, the spacing ## d ## needs to be very small, really basically ## d=0 ## to get white light to interfere. ## d=0 ## should get you an ## m=0 ## bright spot, independent of ## \theta ##, (where ## m \lambda=2d \cos(\theta) ##), that will occur regardless of wavelength. ( Let's assume this is a diffuse source type Michelson). The rings will be most prominent for white light at ## m=1 ##, just a little away from ## d=0 ##, if there happens to be more of one selected color in the spectrum=e.g. more blue than red. ## \\ ## It is rather difficult to quantify what really appears to be a rather vague question that they are giving you. You could try starting with just blue light for ## d=1 ##, and mapping out a ring pattern, and overlaying a red light ring pattern to see what you get. See also post 7 of the "link" above for the equation that will quantify the intensity of the ring pattern as a function of ## d ##, ## \lambda ##, and ## \theta ##. ## \\ ## Editing: I have one additional idea: Right around ## m=1, ## I think the observed pattern may look like the colors of the rainbow [Edit: See below=this part here is somewhat in error], with the shorter wavelengths constructively interfering for larger ## \theta ## than the longer wavelengths. There will start to be appreciably mixing when ## 2 \lambda_{blue}=2d ## i.e. when ## m=2 ## for blue, because then you have very nearly ## m=1 ## for red at the same angle as ## m=2 ## for blue. (Not precisely, but I'll let you fill in the details). I'll let you determine if there still may be some interference present for this case. ## \\ ## Additional editing: With a monochromatic source the interference effect is fringes that vary in intensity. With a white light source, the interference effect is a rainbow pattern= [Edit: See below: This is somewhat in error] with the intensity fairly uniform over the entire pattern. ## \\ ## And one more input for this problem: If the output of the Michelson is focused onto a screen for viewing, ## \theta ## may be somewhat limited, and you might have a span of ## \theta ## something like ## 0<\theta <30^o ##. Thereby, at ## m=1 ##, you probably won't see all of the colors of the rainbow at the same time at one single position ##d ##. ## \\ ## And one part needs correcting here: It will be the colors of the rainbow with much overlap: Unlike a prism or diffraction grating where ## \theta=\theta(\lambda) ##, here each ## \lambda ## has a wide fringe pattern and is not precisely located like it is with a prism or diffraction grating. My previous statement, that you see the colors off the rainbow is somewhat in error, but I am going to leave it there, so you can see where it is incorrect.

Last edited:
Likes Clara Chung
Charles Link said:
Part (d) especially is asking you to answer a rather specialized question without giving much detail on the particular arrangement. There are two types of Michelson configurations=plane wave and diffuse source. The plane wave form results in the entire screen seeing an intensity that depends on the interference. For the diffuse source type, you get a series of rings. See the following "link" post 3: https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...michelson-interferometer.933638/#post-5902650 ## \\ ## In my opinion, [Edit: The "white light" interference, upon working out the details, (and seeing that you won't get a true rainbow effect), appears to be of somewhat secondary significance =the detail of the "white light' interference was previously omitted in my classwork and laboratory schooling that I had using the Michelson interferometer], they would do well to present more material, and quiz you on that. It appears you are kind of on the right track though=for white light, the spacing ## d ## needs to be very small, really basically ## d=0 ## to get white light to interfere. ## d=0 ## should get you an ## m=0 ## bright spot, independent of ## \theta ##, (where ## m \lambda=2d \cos(\theta) ##), that will occur regardless of wavelength. ( Let's assume this is a diffuse source type Michelson). The rings will be most prominent for white light at ## m=1 ##, just a little away from ## d=0 ##, if there happens to be more of one selected color in the spectrum=e.g. more blue than red. ## \\ ## It is rather difficult to quantify what really appears to be a rather vague question that they are giving you. You could try starting with just blue light for ## d=1 ##, and mapping out a ring pattern, and overlaying a red light ring pattern to see what you get. See also post 7 of the "link" above for the equation that will quantify the intensity of the ring pattern as a function of ## d ##, ## \lambda ##, and ## \theta ##. ## \\ ## Editing: I have one additional idea: Right around ## m=1, ## I think the observed pattern may look like the colors of the rainbow [Edit: See below=this part here is somewhat in error], with the shorter wavelengths constructively interfering for larger ## \theta ## than the longer wavelengths. There will start to be appreciably mixing when ## 2 \lambda_{blue}=2d ## i.e. when ## m=2 ## for blue, because then you have very nearly ## m=1 ## for red at the same angle as ## m=2 ## for blue. (Not precisely, but I'll let you fill in the details). I'll let you determine if there still may be some interference present for this case. ## \\ ## Additional editing: With a monochromatic source the interference effect is fringes that vary in intensity. With a white light source, the interference effect is a rainbow pattern= [Edit: See below: This is somewhat in error] with the intensity fairly uniform over the entire pattern. ## \\ ## And one more input for this problem: If the output of the Michelson is focused onto a screen for viewing, ## \theta ## may be somewhat limited, and you might have a span of ## \theta ## something like ## 0<\theta <30^o ##. Thereby, at ## m=1 ##, you probably won't see all of the colors of the rainbow at the same time at one single position ##d ##. ## \\ ## And one part needs correcting here: It will be the colors of the rainbow with much overlap: Unlike a prism or diffraction grating where ## \theta=\theta(\lambda) ##, here each ## \lambda ## has a wide fringe pattern and is not precisely located like it is with a prism or diffraction grating. My previous statement, that you see the colors off the rainbow is somewhat in error, but I am going to leave it there, so you can see where it is incorrect.
Thank you so much for the large amount of information. I will process it and try.

Likes Charles Link
@Clara Chung What might be the most important part in analyzing the white light interference is the equation, ## I(\theta)=I_o \cos^2( \frac{\pi D \, cos(\theta)}{\lambda}) ## from post 7 of this "link" : https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...michelson-interferometer.933638/#post-5902650 That equation is derived in post 8 of the same "link". ## \\ ## Additional note: It's been a while since I looked at this posting in the "link", so I had to study it a little: The distance ## D ## in this posting is defined as the path length difference in distance (on-axis) ## D=2d ##. ## \\ ## Notice you will get interference maxima (the brightest part of the interference fringe/ring) when ## D \cos(\theta)=2d \cos(\theta)=m \lambda ##.

Last edited:

1. What is a white light interference pattern?

A white light interference pattern is a pattern of light and dark bands that are produced when white light passes through a thin film or grating. It is created due to the interference of different wavelengths of light, resulting in constructive and destructive interference.

2. How is a white light interference pattern created?

A white light interference pattern is created when a beam of white light is split into different wavelengths by a diffraction grating or thin film. These light waves then interfere with each other, producing the characteristic pattern of light and dark bands.

3. What is the resolution criteria for a white light interference pattern?

The resolution criteria for a white light interference pattern is the minimum distance between two consecutive bright fringes that can be distinguished by an observer. It is also known as the Rayleigh criterion and is given by the equation Δx = λL/D, where Δx is the minimum resolvable distance, λ is the wavelength of light, L is the distance between the source and the observer, and D is the width of the slit or grating.

4. How can the resolution of a white light interference pattern be improved?

The resolution of a white light interference pattern can be improved by decreasing the width of the slit or grating, increasing the distance between the source and the observer, or using light with a shorter wavelength. Additionally, using a more precise measuring instrument or reducing background noise can also improve the resolution.

5. What are the practical applications of white light interference patterns?

White light interference patterns have various practical applications in fields such as microscopy, spectroscopy, and metrology. They are used to measure small distances, study the properties of materials, and analyze the composition of substances. They also play a crucial role in the development of technologies such as optical coatings and anti-reflective coatings.