Understanding Time Dilation: Whose Clock Ticks Faster in Special Relativity?

• Thread starter Toftarn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Clock
In summary: Say you have two people in two separate inertial ref frames moving reltive to each other.Person A and B will both experience time as constant in their own ref frame but will observe the space/time dilation in the other persons ref frame.i.e. Person A will observe Person B's watch to tick slower by an amount proportional to their volocity relative to A (and visa versa), Hence in this scenario your selection of ref frame determines whose watch ticks slower.And in the case with a spaceship traveling near c, the astronauts will age less not just because of time dilation in special relativity, but because of something that has to do with their acceleration?In summary, the relativity
Toftarn
I have just started studying special relativity, and there is one thing I really don't understand:

Suppose you have two observers, A and B, in space, and that these are moving relative to one another. Due to time dilation, their clocks will tick at different rates. But how do you know whose clock ticks faster?

In other words, if a spaceship travels at a speed near c away from the earth, why do the astronauts age less than someone who stays at the Earth and not vice versa? Couldn't you instead say that the Earth travels away from the spaceship?

Physics news on Phys.org
Toftarn said:
I have just started studying special relativity, and there is one thing I really don't understand:

Suppose you have two observers, A and B, in space, and that these are moving relative to one another. Due to time dilation, their clocks will tick at different rates. But how do you know whose clock ticks faster?

In other words, if a spaceship travels at a speed near c away from the earth, why do the astronauts age less than someone who stays at the Earth and not vice versa? Couldn't you instead say that the Earth travels away from the spaceship?
Yes, there is no objective truth about whose clock ticks faster, different inertial frames have different opinions and all are equally valid. Are you familiar with the idea of the relativity of simultaneity? If we are moving apart at 0.6c, with both our clocks set to zero at the moment we departed, then in my inertial rest frame the event of my clock reading 10 years will be simultaneous with the event of your clock reading 8 years, but in your inertial rest frame the event of your clock reading 8 years is simultaneous with the event of my clock reading 6.4 years, so each of us says the other's clock is slowed down by a factor of 0.8. Of course, the symmetry only holds when both observers are moving inertially (constant speed and direction), if either one turns around so they can reunite and compare clocks then the symmetry is broken, and the one who accelerated will have aged less--this is the classic twin paradox.

While someone gives you a batter answer, as I'm also a beginner, you can check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_paradox"

Basically both observers see that the other is ageing less, but if the astronaut is to return to the same place he will have to change of reference frame, and in that case everything changes and the typical time dilation doesn't apply.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should think of it in terms of one inertial reference frame at a time if you get confused.There is no universal inertial frame of reference. Everything is relative to one's own reference frame. Hence your question of "which clock ticks faster?" is counter productive.

Say you have two people in two separate inertial ref frames moving reltive to each other.

Person A and B will both experience time as constant in their own ref frame but will observe the space/time dilation in the other persons ref frame.

i.e. Person A will observe Person B's watch to tick slower by an amount proportional to their volocity relative to A (and visa versa), Hence in this scenario your selection of ref frame determines whose watch ticks slower.

I see. So in the example with the two astronauts, whose clock will tick faster depends on the frame of reference you choose, and to both of them it will look as if the other astronaut's clock ticks slower?

And in the case with a spaceship traveling near c, the astronauts will age less not just because of time dilation in special relativity, but because of something that has to do with their acceleration?

Toftarn said:
And in the case with a spaceship traveling near c, the astronauts will age less not just because of time dilation in special relativity, but because of something that has to do with their acceleration?
A good analogy here is with spatial paths on a 2D piece of paper. If you draw two paths between a pair of points, the straight-line path on the paper (analogous to an inertial path through spacetime) will always have a shorter length than a path with a bend in it (analogous to a path through spacetime involving an acceleration), because the straight line is the shortest distance between points. That doesn't mean that the bent path accumulated all the extra distance during the bendy segment, the extra length is due to the geometry of the entire path. And similarly, if you draw a cartesian coordinate grid over these paths, then depending on how you orient your y-axis, the rate at which each path is accumulating length as you vary the y-coordinate can be different, but all coordinate systems agree on the overall lengths of the two paths. I expanded on this analogy a bit in this post if you're interested.

Related to Understanding Time Dilation: Whose Clock Ticks Faster in Special Relativity?

What is the concept of "Whose clock ticks faster?"

"Whose clock ticks faster?" is a thought experiment used to explain the concept of time dilation in Einstein's theory of relativity. It involves two observers with synchronized clocks, where one is stationary and the other is moving at a constant velocity. The experiment explores the idea that time can appear to pass differently for these two observers due to their relative motion.

How does time dilation work in "Whose clock ticks faster?"

In this thought experiment, the observer who is moving at a constant velocity will perceive time to be passing slower compared to the stationary observer. This is because the speed of light is constant for all observers, and as the moving observer approaches the speed of light, time appears to slow down for them.

Does "Whose clock ticks faster?" only apply to clocks?

No, "Whose clock ticks faster?" can also be used to explain time dilation in other scenarios, such as the aging of astronauts in space or the use of GPS satellites. In these cases, the concept is still the same - time appears to pass differently for observers in different frames of reference.

What evidence supports the concept of "Whose clock ticks faster?"

There have been numerous experiments and observations that support the concept of time dilation in Einstein's theory of relativity. One famous example is the Hafele-Keating experiment in 1971, where atomic clocks were flown on airplanes in opposite directions and were found to have different times upon their return. This experiment demonstrated that time dilation does occur in accordance with Einstein's theory.

Are there any practical applications of "Whose clock ticks faster?"

Yes, time dilation is a crucial factor in modern technologies such as GPS, where precise timing is necessary for accurate positioning. Without taking into account the effects of time dilation, GPS calculations would result in significant errors. Additionally, understanding time dilation is essential for space travel and the study of the universe's behavior at high velocities.