Why are Some Professors Unfair in Grading?

• Thread starter rootX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class
In summary: I really don't understand why you have to be a jerk. What do you care if other people get good grades? Your grade isn't affected. That's just about the most selfish attitude I've ever seen. I can't stand people like you.In summary, my class sucks because two of my professors used assignment questions from the exam in their class and one raised the class average. My class also complained that they were not given homework, but when I told them they were just losers they replied "I am just pissed off that other also got 100s". Another professor who taught us beyond what we were required was extremely critical of by students. Students in the class also seem to only care about grades and rewards, and are always looking
rootX
My class sucks :(

I finally got all my midterms back.

I am really pissed off by two of my professors.
One simply used assignment questions for the exam (I told him to be creative), and second one raised the class average from 60 (which is pretty normal) to like mid-high 70, and lots of people had 100 (even those who completely sucked other midterms.. particularly few of this favorite students). The second one was complaining that class did pretty bad and my class (full of losers and whiners) started complaining that they aren't given homework. When I tell them they are just loser, they reply I am just pissed off that other also got 100s..
This same class was extremely critical of a professor who taught us beyond what we were required.

I really don't understand why people always like easy stuff and high rewards. They also want big cars and high salaries when they graduate ...

Physics news on Phys.org

rootX said:
I really don't understand why people always like easy stuff and high rewards. They also want big cars and high salaries when they graduate ...

I don't understand what you don't understand.

rootX said:
I finally got all my midterms back.

One simply used assignment questions for the exam (I told him to be creative), and second one raised the class average from 60 (which is pretty normal) to like mid-high 70, and lots of people had 100 (even those who completely sucked other midterms.. particularly few of this favorite students). The second one was complaining that class did pretty bad and my class (full of losers and whiners) started complaining that they aren't given homework. When I tell them they are just loser, they reply I am just pissed off that other also got 100s..
This same class was extremely critical of a professor who taught us beyond what we were required.

I don't understand why you have to be a jerk. What do you care if other people get good grades? Your grade isn't affected. That's just about the most selfish attitude I've ever seen. I can't stand people like you.

Borek said:
I don't understand what you don't understand.

that students love professors who give them easy exams and free marks but hate ones who really want to teach them something.

I don't mind bell cuves but really hate unfair(unwanted) mark adjustments maybe just to show the department that you are a really good professor.

In general, I just hate to see self interests, greed, and narrow thinking among my class mates or in society...

tribdog said:
I don't understand why you have to be a jerk. What do you care if other people get good grades? Your grade isn't affected. That's just about the most selfish attitude I've ever seen. I can't stand people like you.

I actually force people to study and help them in their assignments or try to make them to do it...

But they need to work hard and understand that they need to value knowledge not marks. I really don't care about my grades but I am never happy when I get easy exams / unfair free marks. I told my prof once (and in HS too) that I don't deserve some of the marks.

rootX said:
In general, I just hate to see self interests, greed, and narrow thinking among my class mates or in society...

That's OK, but don't tell me you want to find a difficult, hard job with low salary after graduation.

tribdog said:

Seconded.

I hate easy assignments too. Usually, I don't do them and don't even hand anything in.

My supervisor got mad. He told me to just suck it up and do it because he hated it too in school. So, I listen to him since he is my supervisor.

I don't complain about other people's marks like you do though. I just carry on.

Note: If you're active in the department, you will get noticed. I am regarded as one of the top students in the department. My grades are probably amongst the lowest. How do I get noticed? The only one that answers questions. The only one that can contribute to answers from questions to students to the professor (profs. don't have all answers, so occasionally they look for participation to solve the problem).

For some students I met, I was the first TA they met where they just ask anything about the course and other courses! One student said I was also the hardest marker he has seen ever, but that's because I made the marking scheme and I could mark how I saw fit. Never got complaints from the professor.

Even today, I was tutoring a girl from Calculus. She was referred to me by her friend. I tutored her friend the week before. My review from her friend to her was... "I sat with him for an hour, and I became so prepared for the test that I didn't even study."

I'm just so very lucky that two/three particular profs. noticed me and give me chance after chance after chance. Not really chances, just they put up with my laziness when doing homework. When I have hard assignments, I do them. I get addicted. The last we had 14 days, I finished it in like 4 days. I didn't stop until I was done. I even wrote it all in LaTeX. I'm not lazy when challenged.

You need to get past the idea that formal education is everything in the world. Just because someone gets good grades from an easy class doesn't mean that they will make more money, or have a bigger house, or generally be more successful in life for doing less work. It is ultimately up to YOU to make sure that you receive the education that you desire, not necessarily the one you pay for. Formal education in many cases is a scam, this isn't breaking news. Get used to it, its how the world works. So stop being so dam conceited and apologies to your professors or anyone that you may have offended.

You TOLD your professor to be creative? Since when do students dictate to professors how they will write exams?

I'm also pretty boggled. You're complaining because the exam was easy and more people got good grades? You think a 60 is a good average? If the average on an exam I wrote was a 60, I'd be really carefully evaluating my teaching and exam questions...and yes, might even scale up the grades if it looked like something went awry that so many students were doing so poorly. My students need to get higher than 70% to remain in their program, so giving a majority 60% would indicate I'd been an utter failure as a teacher to them.

Moonbear said:
You TOLD your professor to be creative? Since when do students dictate to professors how they will write exams? .

TA told us that exams would be straight out of assignments. Past students also think his exams are ridiculously easy. I asked my TA for average. It was ~75 and he said it's pretty high.

We rarely go above 76 (60 is pass) unless we have extremely good teacher or our marks are inflated unreasonably (which doesn't happen a lot). We go as low as 20s.

I agree that was a rant. I don't like when people bad mouth about good professors. But people who think it doesn't matter if everyone gets good marks regardless of the student's effort then consider about the success of university graduates who would look very brilliant and shinning to the employers but they never really learned to work hard. Everyone knows which universtieis inflate their students' marks and neither of them are considered good.

Topher925 said:
Just because someone gets good grades from an easy class doesn't mean that they will make more money, or have a bigger house, or generally be more successful in life for doing less work.

Yes, they willn't make more money but I am talking about their attitude that they should receive more than their effort.

why do you care? if this course is part of their core curriculum and later studies will depend on it, then their future performance will probably suffer and you'll pull out ahead of them.

if it's just something the university requires of them to make them more "well-rounded" and of course squeeze more money out of their pockets, then the grade is the most important thing for them. the university should give them an unearned grade for the unearned money they made.

otherwise, how you perform is your business, and how their perform is theirs.

Proton Soup said:
why do you care? if this course is part of their core curriculum and later studies will depend on it, then their future performance will probably suffer and you'll pull out ahead of them.

Yes, I know this might happen.. that's why everyone understands me (and doesn't get offeneded) when I criticize them for being happy about easier work and easier professors. And, I care about my class performance not just mine and they know that.

Right now, I am working on few slackers and I would be more happier about their performance rather than mine own..

What are you, their mother?

Gimme a break man. You have got to get real.

rootX said:
TA told us that exams would be straight out of assignments.
If you are told where the questions will come from, then it's a fair test when they come from those sources.

Past students also think his exams are ridiculously easy. I asked my TA for average. It was ~75 and he said it's pretty high.
An average of 75 doesn't sound like the exams are ridiculously easy. They sound about...average. If the scores were averaging 60, and that's the passing cut-off, then it sounds like it was a rather hard exam.

Perhaps it's just that you learned the material well that you perceive it as easier than the professor thinks it is. My best students can get through my exams pretty easily and quickly too, but that's not because the exam is easy, it's because they're great students.

Ultimately, when a professor assigns grades, they have to consider what level of proficiency a student must have to pass the course. The rest of the grades really aren't all that important other than for bragging rights; what's important is that those who pass the course are prepared for the next level of education or to use the information out in a job, etc. What actual score someone gets on exams is really somewhat irrelevant, as long as the level set for passing is realistic for identifying students sufficiently proficient to continue along in the curriculum.

rootX said:

Yes - life should be like being trained by a kung-fu master! Climb the thousand steps of the temple with me on your back, grasshopper! Hold these two pails of water at arm's length for an hour without flinching!

I have to agree with everyone else, man. You're coming across sounding like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Dwight_weapons.ogg here.

Moonbear said:
Ultimately, when a professor assigns grades, they have to consider what level of proficiency a student must have to pass the course. The rest of the grades really aren't all that important other than for bragging rights; what's important is that those who pass the course are prepared for the next level of education or to use the information out in a job, etc. What actual score someone gets on exams is really somewhat irrelevant, as long as the level set for passing is realistic for identifying students sufficiently proficient to continue along in the curriculum.

Maybe you are right that they just wanted everyone to pass.

I just get mad when I see something too easy (that I can do in ~20% of the assigned time) or when people complain about hard stuff.

rootX said:
I just get mad when I see something too easy (that I can do in ~20% of the assigned time)...

That doesn't mean it's easy, it means you know it well. That's about the right amount of time for someone who knows the material well enough to run through it cold. The idea is that for those who need to think about it a bit, they still have time to get through the exam by reasoning their way through the problems. For those who don't know the material, no amount of time ever seems like enough.

Cyrus said:
What are you, their mother?

Gimme a break man. You have got to get real.

If you don't care how others are doing then that's fine but that doesn't make any more real than someone who cares.

Jut different ways of thinking ..

rootX said:
If you don't care how others are doing then that's fine but that doesn't make any more real than someone who cares.

What a load of...

No, I don't give a damn what the rest of the class is doing in terms of their grades. Why should I? I'm not their mother. You have some bizzard warped notion of reality, and you seem to have a constant obsession with trying to change other people to conform to what you think they should be/act. This is not normal. I would talk to someone about this. You've repeated this theme over the span of several threads, trying to 'change' your friend into have better habbits. Frankly, I am surprised you have any friends if you act this way to people. (This is not how normal adults act, seriously think about talking to a professional. This is not normal.)

Last edited:

Cyrus said:
What a load of...

No, I don't give a damn what the rest of the class is doing in terms of their grades. Why should I? I'm not their mother. You have some bizzard warped notion of reality, and you seem to have a constant obsession with trying to change other people to conform to what you think they should be/act. )

I don't try to change them. They want to change themselves and they want me to help them so I do.

This is not normal. I would talk to someone about this. You've repeated this theme over the span of several threads, trying to 'change' your friend into have better habbits. Frankly, I am surprised you have any friends if you act this way to people. (This is not how normal adults act.

Yes I know that and I don't make any personal relationships with those slackers.. I would call it a problem if I try to do it forcefully without permisson (but here I strictly avoid any of those relationships and I haven't made any of those friends after that)

rootX said:
I don't try to change them. They want to change themselves and they want me to help them so I do.

Yes I know that and I don't make any personal relationships with those slackers..

.....please. Just stop. Your views are childish. Let's be real here, you're not going to 'force' a friendship on anyone.

If you seriously avoid people because they don't study hard, your not mature enough to call yourself an adult yet.

You post a lot of anti-social behaivor that is worrisome to say the least.

Last edited:

rootX said:

I agree with Cyrus on this. It comes across very competitive in a negative, back-stabbing, way to be so worried about what grades everyone else gets and just how much work they are doing to get them. You really are WAY too worked up over what other people are doing in the course. You don't have to settle for their level of effort, you can put as much effort as you want into the course and what you learn and get out of it, so what does it matter if they are just doing the minimum to scrape by? That's their problem.

Cyrus said:
.....please. Just stop. Your views are childish. Let's be real here, you're not going to 'force' a friendship on anyone.

If you seriously avoid people because they don't study hard, your not mature enough to call yourself an adult yet.

You post a lot of anti-social behaivor that is worrisome to say the least.

Yes I agree with that. To be honest, I couldn't see any connection between problems with my personal relationship and the way I deal with classmates. I was mothering both ones. I thought as far I don't piss others and other are happy, everyone thing is fine. And, classmates even encourage that given that they don't know that it's a problem (I don't get into personal relationships with anyone thinking that I would piss them off).

It was a good point and I would take care of that (I thought I only have take care of that when I start thinking about personal rel..) :smile:

sounds to me like you don't have enough to do. maybe you should quit slacking and go challenge yourself.

rootX said:
One simply used assignment questions for the exam (I told him to be creative)

Sorry... you told you professor what to do? Do you know better than him or something? Wow, I bet comments like that really go down well with the professor, and give you a good name to the rest of the faculty :rolleyes:

When I tell them they are just loser, they reply I am just pissed off that other also got 100s..

Based on what you've said here, I'd be inclined to agree with them!

rootX said:
I actually force people to study and help them in their assignments or try to make them to do it...

rootX said:
Right now, I am working on few slackers and I would be more happier about their performance rather than mine own..

You sound like a little Hitler! I agree with the others in that this sort of behaviour is not normal!

cristo said:
Sorry... you told you professor what to do? Do you know better than him or something? Wow, I bet comments like that really go down well with the professor, and give you a good name to the rest of the faculty :rolleyes:!

Professors also agreed with that and said the class performance was below the normal.

You sound like a little Hitler! I agree with the others in that this sort of behaviour is not normal!

Yes, that's just a personal problem that I wasn't aware of (maybe because most people love that behavior_ ) :uhh:

rootX said:
Professors also agreed with that and said the class performance was below the normal.

Yes, that's just a personal problem that I wasn't aware of (maybe because most people love that behavior_ ) :uhh:

Nah, they don't. Trust me.

I honestly don't think you have a clue what friendship means, nor do you really have any true friends. I think people use you, and you rationalize that as 'friendship'. You have complained about people using you to study in the past.

Wow..........im at a loss of words here. (It's that bad my friend).

BTW: how old are you?

Cyrus, at a loss of words...now that is a first! And that's pretty sad, when he has nothing else to say...

rootX said:
Professors also agreed with that...

They agreed when you told them what to do? :uhh:

I hope most of this sounds so bad because it's lost in translation...

Cyrus said:
Nah, they don't. Trust me. I honestly don't think you have a clue what friendship means, nor do you really have any true friends. I think people use you, and you rationalize that as 'friendship'. You have complained about people using you to study in the past.

Wow..........im at a loss of words here. (It's that bad my friend).

BTW: how old are you?

:rofl:

Maybe you are right. And yes, I also remember that.. people still do that :(.

20. :uhh:

cristo said:
They agreed when you told them what to do? :uhh:...

They themselves said that exams were easier than any other past midterms.

rootX said:
:rofl:

Maybe you are right.

20. :uhh:

I don't see why that's funny.

Cyrus said:
I don't see why that's funny.

It's funny that all of sudden I don't any clue ... since it's so bad :)

Anyways thanks for pointing that out. I truly wasn't aware of it.
I really don't want to carry all the drama out here... so I am stopping.

:zzz:

Last edited: