Why Do Balance Scales Stop Even If Unbalanced

In summary, a scale stops when it becomes unbalanced because the lever arm decreases and the torques decrease at the same rate.
LaserWraith

Homework Statement

Quote from the question source:
In times past or in other countries, people purchase fresh produce from piles. The vendor puts a mass on one side of the scale - same 1 kg - and some produce on the other side to weigh out 1 kg of produce for the customer. When there is a little less than 1 kg of produce, the scale tilts downward on the 1 kg but stops at some point rather than continuing to rotate. If the weights/torques are not balanced, why doesn't the scale continue to rotate? Why do you want the scale fixed directly parallel to the ground or perpendicular to the force of gravity to know you have just the right weight? Why not just have the scale stationary - no longer rotating? Do NOT consider friction because it is not relevant to the answer.

Homework Equations

None given, but maybe:
Torque = lever arm x force

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a diagram which you can see here: http://i.minus.com/ibzw9bF4vAnaJ.png (The weight differences are probably very exaggerated.)

But I am not sure of the answer: I thought that the scale stopped because the lever arm decreases as the scale becomes more vertical, but that happens to both sides so both torques decrease at the same rate (right?).

So why do scales stop when slightly unbalanced? It seems like friction is not the answer, because sometimes the scales tip backwards and then forwards until it stops.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since the weights are unchangeable, what must be done to change the torques?

voko said:
Since the weights are unchangeable, what must be done to change the torques?

I thought that somehow the force must decrease on the heavier side a bit, but I'm not sure how. Is some of the force of gravity of the heavier object being supported by the bar (which is in turn supported by the fulcrum)? If so, how would I diagram/calculate that?I know the lever arm decreases as the bar becomes more vertical, but that decreases the torque on both sides equally (I think).

On real scales the pivot point is generally above the points of attachment of the weight pans on the lever arms. Think of a coat hanger with the pivot at the hook and the pans suspended from the ends of either arm.

gneill said:
On real scales the pivot point is generally above the points of attachment of the weight pans on the lever arms. Think of a coat hanger with the pivot at the hook and the pans suspended from the ends of either arm.

If you had a scale like this one (click), how would it work? The points of attachment seem to be level with the pivot. My physics textbook says that even if the objects are hanging from the pivot bar, it doesn't change the torque (it illustrated that with a seesaw hanging someone over a cliff, but the idea should still apply for scales).

LaserWraith said:
If you had a scale like this one (click), how would it work?
It would only work if the weight on each scale was the same. As gneill mentioned, by having the pivot point at the above the center of the balance bar, then the center of mass of the system is raised when the scale is angled from horizontal, creating an torque to oppose the imbalance in weight.

There 2 types of equilibrium, stable and unstable equilibrium
In the case of scale it is a stable equilibrium .

In both of your questions the answer lies on the position of the centre of mass,CM.
The scale will return to a position where the CM is directly under the pivot.

If both of equal mass, then it is perpendicularly under the pivot.
If the left is heavier than the right mass, then the CM is bit left to the centre thus it will turn anticlockwise such that finally it is below the pivot(resulting in no more torque, since the force is now in line with the axis of rotation)

Anyway we need friction to dampen the oscillation.

Last edited:

1. Why do balance scales stop even if unbalanced?

Balance scales stop even if unbalanced due to the principle of moments, also known as the law of the lever. This states that for an object to be in equilibrium, the sum of the clockwise moments must equal the sum of the anticlockwise moments. Therefore, even if one side of the scale has a greater weight, the longer distance from the pivot point on the other side can result in equal moments and the scale will remain balanced.

2. Can external factors affect the balance of a scale?

Yes, external factors such as air resistance, friction, and temperature can affect the balance of a scale. Air resistance can cause objects to appear lighter than their actual weight, while friction can prevent the scale from moving freely, resulting in an inaccurate reading. Changes in temperature can also cause materials to expand or contract, affecting their weight and therefore the balance of the scale.

3. How accurate are balance scales?

Balance scales can be very accurate, depending on the precision of the measuring equipment and the skill of the user. The accuracy of a balance scale also depends on external factors, such as air resistance and friction, which can affect the balance. It is important to calibrate and maintain balance scales regularly to ensure accuracy.

4. Can a balance scale be used to measure weight in any environment?

Balance scales can be used to measure weight in most environments, as long as the external factors are taken into consideration. For example, in a laboratory setting, the effects of air resistance and friction can be minimized by using a draft shield and ensuring the scale is properly calibrated. However, in extreme environments such as space or underwater, other measuring methods may be more suitable.

5. How do electronic balance scales differ from traditional balance scales?

Electronic balance scales use a load cell or strain gauge to measure weight, while traditional balance scales use a beam and pivot system. Electronic scales are generally more precise and can have additional features such as automatic calibration and digital displays. However, both types of scales operate on the same principle of moments and can provide accurate measurements when used correctly.