Why does the speed remain the same?

• Thread starter lioric
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between force, velocity, and acceleration in a magnetic field. The force is always at a right angle to both the field and the velocity. The speed remains constant while the direction of the velocity may change. The magnitude of a vector can be found using the Pythagorean theorem, and the derivative of the speed with respect to time is equal to the acceleration.
lioric

Homework Statement

image.jpg

Homework Equations

F= qvB sin theta
F=ma
[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

A) 6.2x10^18N
B)9.5x10^8m/s^2
C) this is the problem when I searched lot of solutions they say that speed remains the same
Could someone explain this to me[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
How is the force direction related to the particle velocity?

Orodruin said:
How is the force direction related to the particle velocity?
Using the right hand rule, v and b are at 52 degrees and the force should be 90 degrees to the velocity. Am I right?

lioric said:
Using the right hand rule, v and b are at 52 degrees and the force should be 90 degrees to the velocity. Am I right?
Yes, but what conclusion can you draw from this? (The magnetic force is always at a right angle to both the field and the velocity!)

I don't understand that yet

So let me ask you this: how do you compute the speed?

Orodruin said:
So let me ask you this: how do you compute the speed?
It's already given in the question 550m/s

Think about a circular motion: The velocity can change in direction but the speed remains the same..

lioric said:
I mean in general, not necessarily in this problem.

lioric said:
Orudruin asks, how do you get the speed (scalar) if you know the velocity ( a vector) .

Orodruin said:
I mean in general, not necessarily in this problem.
Speed = distance/ time
If you know the velocity the magnitude is the speed right?

lioric said:
If you know the velocity the magnitude is the speed right?
Yes, so how do you find out the magnitude of a vector? Or, more useful, how do you find the squared magnitude of a vector? (The magnitude is constant if the magnitude squared is constant!)

Orodruin said:
Yes, so how do you find out the magnitude of a vector? Or, more useful, how do you find the squared magnitude of a vector? (The magnitude is constant if the magnitude squared is constant!)
I didn't quite get that but I ll give it a shot
Magnitude squared in this case 550^2

Last edited:
I didn't understand the magnitude square thing

But I think this is what happened
An alpha particle with a velocity of 550m/s goes in a magnetic field in an angle of 52 degrees
So like in the right hand rule the alpha particle is deflected 90 degrees to the field so the acceleration is to change the velocity by changing the direction but the speed remains the same.

If that is right how would I know if the speed did change?

lioric said:
I didn't understand the magnitude square thing
This is something you will have to understand to understand the solution of the problem.
lioric said:
Magnitude squared in this case 550^2
We are not interested in this particular case at the moment, we are interested in the general case when you are given a velocity vector ##\vec v##. If I give you a general velocity vector ##\vec v = v_x \vec e_x + v_y \vec e_y + v_z \vec e_z##, what is the speed of the object?
lioric said:
If that is right how would I know if the speed did change?
This is what we are trying to guide you to! This is why you should follow the steps I am giving you.

Orodruin said:
This is something you will have to understand to understand the solution of the problem.

We are not interested in this particular case at the moment, we are interested in the general case when you are given a velocity vector ##\vec v##. If I give you a general velocity vector ##\vec v = v_x \vec e_x + v_y \vec e_y + v_z \vec e_z##, what is the speed of the object?

This is what we are trying to guide you to! This is why you should follow the steps I am giving you.
I'm really trying to get this in my head please continue. I'll follow the steps
As for the question with the 3D vector, I don't know but if it was just x and y only v would be found using Pythagoras theorem. I know that much. I don't know about the 3 D one

lioric said:
As for the question with the 3D vector, I don't know but if it was just x and y only v would be found using Pythagoras theorem. I know that much. I don't know about the 3 D one
Pythagoras' theorem holds in an arbitrary number of dimensions.

lioric said:
Have you learned about the scalar product (dot product) of two vectors?

Orodruin said:

I think I got it tell me if this is right
V= square root Vx^2+Vy^2+Vz^2

Is this the speed?

lioric said:
I think I got it tell me if this is right
V= square root Vx^2+Vy^2+Vz^2

Is this the speed?
Yes, so what is the derivative of the speed with respect to time? You may use that dVx/dt = ax (x-component of acceleration) and so on.

Orodruin said:
Yes, so what is the derivative of the speed with respect to time? You may use that dVx/dt = ax (x-component of acceleration) and so on.
Acceleration? But it's derivative of velocity

lioric said:
Acceleration? But it's derivative of velocity
Yes, that is exactly what I said!

To clarify, the derivative of speed is not acceleration! You need to compute it instead of making wild guesses.

Orodruin said:
To clarify, the derivative of speed is not acceleration! You need to compute it instead of making wild guesses.
I m sorry
I know rate of change of velocity is acceleration but I don't know if there is a rate of change of speed

lioric said:
I m sorry
I know rate of change of velocity is acceleration but I don't know if there is a rate of change of speed
Of course there is, and it is what the problem wants you to compute! I am not asking you for a name (names are conventions), I am asking you to do the actual math.

Orodruin said:
Of course there is, and it is what the problem wants you to compute! I am not asking you for a name (names are conventions), I am asking you to do the actual math.
Ok let's see
If v = square root Vx^2+Vy^2+Vz^2
You want me to differentiate this with dv/dx?

lioric said:
You want me to differentiate this with dv/dx?
With respect to t, not x.

Orodruin said:
With respect to t, not x.
But there is no t in there

lioric said:
But there is no t in there
Yes there is. The velocity generally depends on time. The derivative of velocity wrt time is called acceleration.

Orodruin said:
Yes there is. The velocity generally depends on time. The derivative of velocity wrt time is called acceleration.
Ya but we are finding speed not velocity

lioric said:
Ya but we are finding speed not velocity
Seriously? You have gotten the speed as a function of velocity, now you need to differentiate this function with respect to time, the speed is generally going to depend on time because the velocity on which the speed depends does. Just apply the chain rule!

Orodruin said:
Seriously? You have gotten the speed as a function of velocity, now you need to differentiate this function with respect to time, the speed is generally going to depend on time because the velocity on which the speed depends does. Just apply the chain rule!
I think I understand
The speed doesn't change because the particle goes in a circular motion and no work is done on it

lioric said:
I think I understand
The speed doesn't change because the particle goes in a circular motion and no work is done on it
The motion is a spiral, not a circle, but the spirit of it is the same. What I want you to do is to work this out in mathematics and to see why the magnetic force does not do any work (in general, it does not matter if it is homogeneous or not - the motion may not be a spiral or circle in that case).

Orodruin said:
The motion is a spiral, not a circle, but the spirit of it is the same. What I want you to do is to work this out in mathematics and to see why the magnetic force does not do any work (in general, it does not matter if it is homogeneous or not - the motion may not be a spiral or circle in that case).
That's my problem I don't know how to do that in math

lioric said:
That's my problem I don't know how to do that in math
You learned the dot product (scalar product) of two vectors, and you should know that the dot product of a vector with itself is the square of the magnitude of the vector. So ##\vec b \cdot \vec b = |\vec b|^2##, or you can write it in the form ##a=\sqrt {{\vec b} ^2}##, ##b## meaning the magnitude of ##\vec b##.

You have the time dependent velocity vector ##\vec v(t)## . The speed is its magnitude, ##v(t)= \sqrt {{\vec v(t)} ^2}##
v(t) is just a function of ##\vec v##, and ##\vec v## is a function of t, Determine dv/dt, using the chain rule. What do you get?
It might be confusing that ##\vec v## is vector. How would you differentiate a function F(t)=f(g^2(t)) with respect to time?