Why does z1 equal z2 if position 2 is higher than position 1?

• Thread starter foo9008
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Height
In summary: However, as mentioned before, it is a plan view and the flow is all at the same horizontal level. Therefore, z can be equal to 0.If it were a side view, that would be true. However, as mentioned before, it is a plan view and the flow is all at the same horizontal level. Therefore, z can be equal to 0.In summary, the question is asking why z1 is equal to z2 when it appears that position 2 is higher than position 1. However, the diagram is a plan view and the flow is all at the same horizontal level, so z can be equal to 0. The height of both positions are not necessarily the same.
foo9008

Homework Statement

why z1=z2 ? isn't the position 2 is higher than position 1 ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 108.PNG
    108.PNG
    10.9 KB · Views: 313
  • 109.PNG
    109.PNG
    1.7 KB · Views: 327
  • 110.PNG
    110.PNG
    12.1 KB · Views: 328
  • 111.PNG
    111.PNG
    6.6 KB · Views: 319
Physics news on Phys.org
foo9008 said:

Homework Statement

why z1=z2 ? isn't the position 2 is higher than position 1 ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The question is rather unclear, but I believe the diagram is the plan view, i.e. looking from above. (It doesn't say "45 degrees to the horizontal".)

haruspex said:
The question is rather unclear, but I believe the diagram is the plan view, i.e. looking from above. (It doesn't say "45 degrees to the horizontal".)
the height of both are not the same, right??

foo9008 said:
the height of both are not the same, right??
No, I'm saying that the flow is all at the same horizontal level. Reread what I posted before.

Likes foo9008
haruspex said:
No, I'm saying that the flow is all at the same horizontal level. Reread what I posted before.
if this is side view , the ther must be some value for z , right ? z can't be equal to 0 ?

foo9008 said:
if this is side view ,
but it isn't.

haruspex said:
but it isn't.
sorry , what do you mean ? i didnt get you

foo9008 said:
sorry , what do you mean ? i didnt get you
It's the plan view, i.e. you are looking down onto the pipe from above. The z direction is out of the page. The flow is all on one horizontal level.

Likes foo9008
haruspex said:
It's the plan view, i.e. you are looking down onto the pipe from above. The z direction is out of the page. The flow is all on one horizontal level.
if this is a side view , then z can't be = 0 , right ?

foo9008 said:
if this is a side view , then z can't be = 0 , right ?
If it were a side view, that would be true.

Related to Why does z1 equal z2 if position 2 is higher than position 1?

1. What is the difference between z1 and z2 in elevation?

Z1 and z2 refer to two different elevations, or heights, on a surface or object. Z1 typically represents the starting elevation, while z2 represents the ending elevation.

2. Why is it important to understand why z1 and z2 are equal in elevation?

Understanding why z1 and z2 are equal in elevation is crucial for conducting accurate measurements and calculations related to elevation. It ensures that the data collected is consistent and reliable.

3. How can we solve for z1 and z2 to determine if they are equal in elevation?

To solve for z1 and z2, we must first gather elevation data from multiple points and compare them. If the elevations are equal, then z1 and z2 are also equal. Additionally, we can use mathematical equations and tools, such as a level or a laser level, to determine the difference between z1 and z2.

4. Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of z1 and z2 being equal in elevation?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the accuracy of z1 and z2 being equal in elevation. These include measurement errors, changes in the surface or object over time, and discrepancies in the equipment used to measure the elevations.

5. What are some real-world applications for understanding and solving for equal elevations?

Understanding and solving for equal elevations is important in a variety of fields, including construction, engineering, and surveying. It is used to ensure that buildings and structures are level and stable, to survey and map land accurately, and to design effective drainage systems.