Why Electric Fields are perpendicular

In summary: This is because the electric field lines are always perpendicular to the equipotential surfaces. This is because the electric potential is constant on these surfaces, so there is no potential difference and therefore no electric field.
KatieD

Homework Statement

If electric fields are perpendicular to the equipotential surface, what is the orientation of the field on the surface of a conductor (like metal)? Why is this so?

Homework Equations

E= ∆V/d

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that there is no charge within a conductor and it moves to the edges. I am confused with how this affects the electric field lines. I also know that electric field lines point out if a charge is positive and in if a charge is negative.

I am just confused with electric fields when there is a conductor.

Katie

Physics news on Phys.org
KatieD said:

Homework Statement

If electric fields are perpendicular to the equipotential surface, what is the orientation of the field on the surface of a conductor (like metal)? Why is this so?

Homework Equations

E= ∆V/d

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that there is no charge within a conductor and it moves to the edges. I am confused with how this affects the electric field lines. I also know that electric field lines point out if a charge is positive and in if a charge is negative.

I am just confused with electric fields when there is a conductor.

Katie

If you use a DVM to measure the voltage difference between two points on a conductive surface, what voltage do you think you will measure (assuming little or no current is flowing in the conductor)? Does that help?

You won't measure any voltage, does this mean that the electrical field would be zero?

KatieD said:
You won't measure any voltage, does this mean that the electrical field would be zero?

Something like that. It means that the two points on the conductive surface have no "potential" difference between them. So in other words, you could call the surface of a conductor an __________ surface, right? And since the E field is always perpendicular to that kind of surface, what can you say?

Oh an equipotential surface! so the electric field would be perpendicular to the surface!

(sorry it took me so long I had to leave for physical therapy)

KatieD said:
Oh an equipotential surface! so the electric field would be perpendicular to the surface!

Bingo!

Related to Why Electric Fields are perpendicular

1. Why are electric fields perpendicular to the surface of a conductor?

Electric fields are perpendicular to the surface of a conductor because of the way charges are distributed on the surface. When a conductor is in equilibrium, the charges on its surface arrange themselves in such a way that the electric field inside the conductor is zero. This means that the electric field lines must be perpendicular to the surface, as any parallel component would result in a non-zero field inside the conductor.

2. How does the direction of electric field affect the movement of charges?

The direction of the electric field determines the direction of the force experienced by a charged particle. If the electric field is perpendicular to the surface, the force will be directed towards or away from the surface, depending on the sign of the charge. This force is what causes the charges to move in the direction of the field.

3. Why do electric field lines always intersect at right angles with the surface of a conductor?

Electric field lines represent the direction of the electric field at any given point. Since the electric field inside a conductor is zero, the field lines must be perpendicular to the surface. If the field lines were to intersect at any other angle, it would result in a non-zero field inside the conductor, which is not possible in equilibrium.

4. What happens to the electric field when a conductor is placed in an external electric field?

When a conductor is placed in an external electric field, the charges on its surface will rearrange themselves in such a way that the electric field inside the conductor is zero. This means that the electric field lines will be perpendicular to the surface, as any parallel component would result in a non-zero field inside the conductor. The overall effect is that the external electric field is cancelled out inside the conductor.

5. Are there any exceptions to the rule that electric fields are perpendicular to conductors?

Yes, there are some cases where the electric field may not be perpendicular to a conductor. This can occur when the conductor is not in equilibrium, such as when it is being charged or discharged. In these cases, the electric field inside the conductor may not be zero, and the field lines may not be perpendicular to the surface. Additionally, if the conductor is not a perfect conductor, there may be some leakage of the electric field, causing deviations from the perpendicular direction.