1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why gold rings are not made from 100% gold?

1. Oct 13, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known dat
    1. Why gold rings are not made from pure gold but mixed with other metals?
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    my answer.....because when two elements are combined chemically they produce a new compound and this avoids particles from sliding...i don't feel it's appropriate...please help me out

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should do some basic research on the properties of gold:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold#Jewelry

4. Oct 17, 2015 #3
    Gold is only one metal, no other components, it creates electricity when contacting with other elements.

5. Oct 18, 2015 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Please elaborate. As stated this doesn't make much sense.

6. Oct 20, 2015 #5
    Gold actually it's soft, so an 100% gold isn't practical, as it would change it's form. There is added some zinc or copper to make it more rigid.
    What I tried to say earlier it's that it could also react with some other elements, depends on conditions(in normal conditions gold dont really react), and having a gold ring with a bit of copper is much better then a gold ring with more active metals. For @saranya_sarah, if you still need.
    I hope it helped.

7. Nov 1, 2015 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted