Why is Digital Butterworth lowpass?

• Thread starter karen03grae
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Digital
In summary, the equation Yk = a*Uk + (1-a)Yk-1 filters out high frequency content in a signal. Lowpassing the equation to Yk=a*Uk yields a lower output signal. A random noise generator with high frequency content can be filtered out by the lowpass filter, as the high frequencies are averaged out.
karen03grae
This is a homework question. However, here is what I have thought about.
Here is my formula for the output filtered signal:

Yk = a*Uk + (1-a)Yk-1

Where "a" is coeffiecient that "weights" the current value of the unfiltered signal. And Yk-1 is the previous output signal. For some reason, low frequencies signals can pass through while high ones get attenuated. My job is to explain why.

Now this is for a lab where we had a random noise generator that gets added to a sine wave. The ONLY thing I can guess is that the high frequencies are so random that they get averaged out by the equation. But if the noise generator gave off low freq. while my original signal was high, then the Butterworth would be highpass.

I've been all over the web to figure this out. If anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be great.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Maybe would determining a transfer function help?

I suppose you can z-transform the equation and rearrange to obtain the transfer function Y(z)/U(z) of the filter; the transfer function should shed some light on the nature of the filter.

You can assume the output of the random noise generator to be fairly distributed over the entire frequency spectrum. The filter (if it is lowpass) would thereby discard the noisy signals with higher frequency content.

Which DSP textbook are you working out of, Karen?

I'm not. That question came from my mechanical engineering lab. In that class we are given a broad overview of everything including DSP. I just found out when I went to my professor that my question was too deep for the answer expected. So that's over. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good Principles and Applications of EE. I'm using a book by Hambley right now and it is horrible. I need a good one that covers node voltage analysis, ac signals, transfer funtions, and maybe some transient response stuff. Any recommendations would be great! :)

The best basic electronics book IMO is "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill. It doesn't cover nodal analysis much, but it is a very practical introduction to everything from basic circuits to transistors to opamps to filters to power supplies to digital logic, etc.

My (very old) basic EE text is "Basic Electrical Engineering" by Fitzgerald, Higgenbotham and Grabel. It's okay, but not stellar. I still refer to it occasionally, though.

The best basic/intro DSP book I've found is "Designing Digital Filters" by Williams. There are some great discussions in the book that really helped my understanding of digital filters, and really all filters in general.

Maybe see if your technical library has these books so you can skim them to see if they would be good to have.

karen03grae said:
I was wondering if anyone knows of a good Principles and Applications of EE.

Well, Rizzoni's book "Principles and Applications of Electrical Engineering" comes to mind! It is written for the non-electrical engineer and covers a broad range of topics with lots of relevant examples. I don't think it has anything on digital filters though...

Hey, thanks guys! I'm going to check those out today at the library. I have to take my EE test this friday.

1. Why is Digital Butterworth lowpass filter commonly used in signal processing?

The Digital Butterworth lowpass filter is commonly used in signal processing because it has a flat frequency response in the passband, which means it allows all frequencies below a certain cutoff frequency to pass through with minimal distortion. Additionally, it has a gradual roll-off in the stopband, which helps to reduce noise and other unwanted signals without causing significant distortion to the desired signal.

2. How does the Digital Butterworth lowpass filter work?

The Digital Butterworth lowpass filter works by using a mathematical algorithm to smooth out the frequency response of a signal. This is achieved by applying a transfer function to the input signal, which attenuates higher frequencies while allowing lower frequencies to pass through with minimal distortion. The specific transfer function used in a Digital Butterworth filter is known as a Butterworth polynomial.

3. What are the advantages of using a Digital Butterworth lowpass filter?

One of the main advantages of using a Digital Butterworth lowpass filter is its ability to provide a smooth transition between the passband and stopband. This helps to avoid unwanted signal distortion, making it suitable for a wide range of applications. Additionally, the Butterworth polynomial used in the filter is easily customizable, allowing for flexibility in designing filters for specific frequency cutoffs and desired attenuation levels.

4. Are there any limitations to using a Digital Butterworth lowpass filter?

While the Digital Butterworth lowpass filter is commonly used, it does have some limitations. One limitation is that it has a relatively slow roll-off rate in the stopband, which means it may not be suitable for applications where a steep cutoff is required. Additionally, it may introduce phase distortion in the passband, which can affect the time-domain characteristics of the filtered signal.

5. What types of signals can be filtered using a Digital Butterworth lowpass filter?

The Digital Butterworth lowpass filter can be used to filter a wide range of signals, including audio, video, and other types of digital signals. It is particularly useful for smoothing out noise and other unwanted signals in applications such as audio and image processing, data acquisition, and communications systems.