Why is Electron Affinity Negative for Period 2 & 3 Elements?

In summary: Similarly, in the case of Br and I, the EA is +11 and +13 respectively, so when 1 mol Br or I accept 1 mol e-, there is... an addition of 11kJ and 13kJ of energy respectively to the total.
ritwik06
Why is electron affinity negative?

In my book its written, that on moving down a group, tit decreases. But why is it that period 3 elements have greater E.A. than period 2 elements?

Physics news on Phys.org
you should precise which E.A.! The first E.A. is the amount of energy released when 1 mol of a gaseous atom accepts 1 mol electrons. the first E.A. is always negative. E.A. is in fact an energy change; when an energy change is -ve, it implies that the reaction is exothermic, i.e energy is liberated...and when energy change is +ve, it implies that the reaction is endothermic, i.e energy is absorbed. right

the attraction between the nucleus and the first electron to be accepted releases energy. the second E.A. and succeeding ones are all endothermic. this is because energy is needed to force the electron into the atom. energy is now required as the second incoming electron is being at the same time attracted by the nucleus and repelled(to a larger extent) by the other electrons of the atom. right

E.A. decreases down a group. this is because, down a group the atoms become shielded by the larger numbers of electrons. (e.g. Li has 3 e-, Na has 11e-, K has 19e-,...) the shielding decreases the attractive force of the nucleus on the incoming electron and furthermore, the incoming electron is being repelled at a greater extent by the larger number of electrons. i.e more energy is required to force that electron into the atom.

period 3 elements have SMALLER electron affinities than period 2 elements for the reasons above. But an exception is F(period 2) and Cl(period 3). This is due to the fact that F has a very small size...

Hope i helped you

Kushal said:
period 3 elements have SMALLER electron affinities than period 2 elements for the reasons above. But an exception is F(period 2) and Cl(period 3). This is due to the fact that F has a very small size...

Hope i helped you

how is that an exception?...doesnt F have a greater E.A than Cl?

ritwik06 said:
Why is electron affinity negative?

In my book its written, that on moving down a group, tit decreases. But why is it that period 3 elements have greater E.A. than period 2 elements?

did u switch period and group by accident? The rule of thumb is that the closer something is to Flourine the larger its E.A is...

Kushal said:
you should precise which E.A.! The first E.A. is the amount of energy released when 1 mol of a gaseous atom accepts 1 mol electrons. the first E.A. is always negative. E.A. is in fact an energy change; when an energy change is -ve, it implies that the reaction is exothermic, i.e energy is liberated...and when energy change is +ve, it implies that the reaction is endothermic, i.e energy is absorbed. right

the attraction between the nucleus and the first electron to be accepted releases energy. the second E.A. and succeeding ones are all endothermic. this is because energy is needed to force the electron into the atom. energy is now required as the second incoming electron is being at the same time attracted by the nucleus and repelled(to a larger extent) by the other electrons of the atom. right

E.A. decreases down a group. this is because, down a group the atoms become shielded by the larger numbers of electrons. (e.g. Li has 3 e-, Na has 11e-, K has 19e-,...) the shielding decreases the attractive force of the nucleus on the incoming electron and furthermore, the incoming electron is being repelled at a greater extent by the larger number of electrons. i.e more energy is required to force that electron into the atom.

Hope i helped you

Yes understood it quite well now. But please do tell me that while comparing electron affinities of 2 elements, do we consider the -ve sign?

Thanks a lot for the valuable help.

TripleS said:
how is that an exception?...doesnt F have a greater E.A than Cl?

Nope. Though F is more electronegative than Cl, E.A of F is less than Cl. It is because F is comparatively very small atom which give it higher electron density than it's neighbours. If you want to place an electron in it's (F)outermost shell you have to do some extra work (for the extra density of electrons it has). So overall it effects the net realease of energy.

the sign is just to distinguish between a reaction being exothermic or endothermic. -ve means exothermic and +ve means endothermic.

for example... first EA of Cl is - 364, Br is -342, I is -295. It just means that, when 1 mol Cl accepts 1 mol e-, 364kJ of energy is liberated. For Br it's 342 kJ and for I it's 295 kJ. The amount of energy liberated decreases from Cl to Br...and therefore e- affinity decreases.

So... the answer is no.

Related to Why is Electron Affinity Negative for Period 2 & 3 Elements?

1. Why is the electron affinity negative for period 2 and 3 elements?

Electron affinity is the amount of energy released when an atom gains an electron. In period 2 and 3 elements, the electron affinity is negative because these elements have a relatively small atomic radius and a high effective nuclear charge. This means that the added electron experiences a strong attraction from the nucleus, making it difficult to add an electron and resulting in a negative electron affinity value.

2. How does the atomic radius affect electron affinity?

The atomic radius is the distance from the nucleus to the outermost electron. In period 2 and 3 elements, the atomic radius is relatively small, which means that the added electron is closer to the nucleus and experiences a stronger attraction. This makes it more difficult to add an electron, resulting in a negative electron affinity value.

3. Do all elements in period 2 and 3 have negative electron affinity?

No, not all elements in period 2 and 3 have negative electron affinity. While most elements in these periods do have negative electron affinity values, there are exceptions such as nitrogen and neon, which have slightly positive values. This is due to their stable electron configurations, making it more difficult to add an electron.

4. How does effective nuclear charge affect electron affinity?

Effective nuclear charge is the net positive charge experienced by an electron in an atom. In period 2 and 3 elements, the effective nuclear charge is high due to the increasing number of protons in the nucleus. This strong attraction between the nucleus and the added electron makes it difficult to add an electron, resulting in a negative electron affinity value.

5. Why is electron affinity important?

Electron affinity is an important concept in understanding the reactivity of elements. Elements with high electron affinity tend to be more reactive and are more likely to form chemical bonds with other elements to achieve a stable electron configuration. It is also used to predict the stability of ions and the formation of ionic compounds.