Why is this highly distributed array a bad idea?

In summary, the idea of installing small internet-controlled telescopes on household rooftops for free and controlled by a central server may seem appealing, but it is not a feasible solution. The cost and maintenance of the receivers, as well as the issue of interference, make this idea impractical for effective data collection.
jshrager
Gold Member
I once ran into a nobel-winning astronomer at a conference and suggested to him putting small internet-controlled telescopes for free (and fully supported) on a the roof of any household that wanted one. The telescopes would be controlled by "The Project" from a central server, and the "owner" (that is, the person whose roof it is on -- the real owner being The Project) would be able to use it at any time they desired through a web interface, with the proviso that whenever the "owner" is not using it, it can be used by The Project (remotely controlled). Presumably a lot of people would want this (hey, free toy!), but on any given night (esp. at 3am!) most of the scopes would remain un-used (by the "owner"), and so would create a gigantic distributed telescopic array all over the earth! My BoTE calculation was that this would cost about 1/1000 of what "big" scopes cost today per collection area. Of course this needs to be moderated by parallax and other complexities, but would have many additional advantages of usually good viewing conditions (someplace) and extremely broad base. The astronomer said it wouldn't work, and gave me a very quick explanation that I didn't understand (mostly because, being a chance hallway conversation, he didn't have time to explain himself there and then). Can someone tell me why this is a bad idea?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The power of telescopes isn't just in their size. In order to collect useful information, the receivers (the part that actually picks up the signal that has been focused by the dish part) have to have low noise, very accurate timing etc etc. These things are expensive and require a lot of careful maintenance and calibration. You can't just install them and leave them there for ten years. That is the first problem.

One of the other issues is interference. One of the hardest things about observations of correctly accounting for that which requires some reasonably complex techniques (that I don't know too much about as I'm not a radio observer). Suffice to say though, that it gets much harder if every little receiver is in a different place with a different set of interference problems. Telescopes tend to be very carefully sited in remote locations, trying to do radio frequency observations in a modern city would be impossible because of all the interference.

Related to Why is this highly distributed array a bad idea?

1. Why is a highly distributed array a bad idea?

A highly distributed array can be a bad idea because it can lead to increased complexity and potential points of failure in a system. It can also be difficult to manage and troubleshoot, as data is spread across multiple nodes.

2. Can't a highly distributed array provide better performance?

While a highly distributed array may have the potential to provide better performance, it also introduces latency due to the need to communicate and coordinate between nodes. This can actually result in slower performance in some cases.

3. What are the drawbacks of using a highly distributed array?

Some drawbacks of using a highly distributed array include increased cost and complexity, potential data consistency issues, and difficulty in scaling the system if more nodes are needed.

4. Are there any alternatives to using a highly distributed array?

Yes, there are alternatives such as using a centralized database or a hybrid approach. These alternatives may be more suitable depending on the specific needs and requirements of the system.

5. Is a highly distributed array always a bad idea?

No, a highly distributed array may be a suitable solution for certain use cases, such as when data needs to be accessed quickly from multiple locations. However, it is important to carefully consider the potential drawbacks and assess if it is the best option for a particular system.