Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why isn't water a gas?

1. Sep 23, 2006 #1
    Apparently, my A level chemistry teacher told us that because of the molecular structure or something, water should be a gas. But why isn't it?

He didn't go into much detail as he wanted us to do a page essay on it for homework...i'm totally lost, i never realised that, so could anyone help and give me a brief explanation of why it isn't a gas for me to expand on for my homework. Also, i'm quite interested in this to...i never thought of the molecular structure to be anything more than a liquid.

I would greatly appreciate your help. Thanks :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2006 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Homework, huh? "... because of the molecular structure or something ...," is something you are supposed to be researching. Go over kinetic theory, bonding, and states of matter --- then tell us what you think, and we'll see where we can steer you.

4. Sep 23, 2006 #3
    The reason your teacher said that is because H2S, H2Se, and H2Te are all gasses at room temperature and pressure. There is a special property that makes water different.

5. Sep 24, 2006 #4
    H2S, H2Se and H2Te are gases but H2O is liquid. Great mystery, isn't it?
    Generally molecules are more strongly attracted by each other in liquid form, than in gaseous form.
    Think, why H2O molecules are more strongly attracted by each other than H2S, H2Se or H2Te? Or what actually is the basis of this inter-molecular attraction?
    I think you will find an answer.

6. Sep 25, 2006 #5
    Cool thanks...that can shove me in the right direction...i can search more specifically now...cheers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?