Why is water a liquid instead of a gas?

• Thread starter capitolmonkey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas Water
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of water being a gas due to its molecular structure. The teacher mentions a special property that makes water different from other gases like H2S, H2Se, and H2Te. The students are assigned to research and write an essay on this topic, and they are encouraged to consider kinetic theory, bonding, and states of matter. The discussion also touches on the inter-molecular attraction of water molecules and why it is stronger than other gases.
capitolmonkey
Apparently, my A level chemistry teacher told us that because of the molecular structure or something, water should be a gas. But why isn't it?

He didn't go into much detail as he wanted us to do a page essay on it for homework...i'm totally lost, i never realized that, so could anyone help and give me a brief explanation of why it isn't a gas for me to expand on for my homework. Also, I'm quite interested in this to...i never thought of the molecular structure to be anything more than a liquid.

I would greatly appreciate your help. Thanks :smile:

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Homework, huh? "... because of the molecular structure or something ...," is something you are supposed to be researching. Go over kinetic theory, bonding, and states of matter --- then tell us what you think, and we'll see where we can steer you.

The reason your teacher said that is because H2S, H2Se, and H2Te are all gasses at room temperature and pressure. There is a special property that makes water different.

H2S, H2Se and H2Te are gases but H2O is liquid. Great mystery, isn't it?
Generally molecules are more strongly attracted by each other in liquid form, than in gaseous form.
Think, why H2O molecules are more strongly attracted by each other than H2S, H2Se or H2Te? Or what actually is the basis of this inter-molecular attraction?
I think you will find an answer.

Cool thanks...that can shove me in the right direction...i can search more specifically now...cheers.

1. Why is water not a gas?

Water is not a gas because of its molecular structure. It consists of two hydrogen atoms bonded to one oxygen atom, creating a polar molecule. The polar nature of water causes the molecules to attract each other, forming a liquid state at room temperature. Additionally, water has a high boiling point, meaning it needs a lot of energy to break the bonds between its molecules and turn into a gas.

2. Can water ever exist as a gas?

Yes, water can exist as a gas, but only at high temperatures. At 100 degrees Celsius, water reaches its boiling point and turns into steam, which is the gaseous state of water. However, this is only possible under specific conditions, such as high pressure, as the bonds between water molecules are strong and require a lot of energy to break.

3. What is the difference between water and water vapor?

Water and water vapor are two different states of the same substance. Water is a liquid, while water vapor is a gas. Water vapor is created when water is heated, and the molecules gain enough energy to break apart and become a gas. When water vapor cools down, it turns back into a liquid and becomes water.

4. Why is water vapor invisible?

Water vapor is invisible because it is in a gaseous state. Unlike liquids, gases do not have a defined shape or volume, making it difficult for our eyes to detect them. Water vapor is made up of individual molecules that are spread out and not visible to the human eye.

5. How does water's molecular structure affect its state of matter?

Water's molecular structure, with two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom, makes it a polar molecule. This polarity causes water molecules to attract each other, creating strong bonds that keep them in a liquid state at room temperature. The molecular structure also contributes to water's high boiling point, making it difficult for water to exist as a gas at normal temperatures.