Why the GUT epoch ended at ~10^-36 s ?

• I
  • Thread starter DoobleD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gut
In summary, the GUT epoch is estimated to have ended at around 10-36 s. There is no proof or derivation for this, but sources such as wikipedia and Daniel Baumann's (Cambridge) excellent cosmology lecture notes give a range of values for tGUTtGUTt_\rm{GUT} and g∗.
DoobleD
I read that the GUT epoch is estimated to have ended at around 10-36 s, but I can't find any proof or derivation for this. Anyone knows ?

Space news on Phys.org
DoobleD said:
I read

Where? Please give a specific reference.

PeterDonis said:

Sure :
The list goes on, but I didn't find a source with a proof or at least some qualitative justification for this.

<Moderator's note: Link changed due to possible copyright violation>

Last edited by a moderator:
DoobleD said:
I read that the GUT epoch is estimated to have ended at around 10-36 s, but I can't find any proof or derivation for this. Anyone knows ?

Try using (3.2.68) of Daniel Baumann's (Cambridge) excellent cosmology lecture notes
http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/db275/Cosmology/Lectures.pdf
to find ##t_\rm{GUT}## for ##T_\rm{GUT} \approx 10^{15} ~\rm{GeV}## and ##g_* \approx 10##.

PeterDonis said:

Within one or two orders of magnitude, it is ubiquitous in the literature, e.g., on page 190 of the second edition of the often-used text "Introduction to Cosmology" by Barbara Ryden.

Likes DoobleD
George Jones said:
Try using (3.2.68) of Daniel Baumann's (Cambridge) excellent cosmology lecture notes
http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/db275/Cosmology/Lectures.pdf
to find tGUTtGUTt_\rm{GUT} for TGUT≈1015 GeVTGUT≈1015 GeVT_\rm{GUT} \approx 10^{15} ~\rm{GeV} and g∗≈10g∗≈10g_* \approx 10.

Seems to be it, thank you ! I get, using ##T_\rm{GUT} \approx 10^{15} ~\rm{GeV} = 10^{18} MeV## :

##t \approx \frac{9}{4\sqrt{10}T^2} \approx 7 \times 10^{-37} s##, which is close enough.

One thing I'm not sure about though is why the choice of ##g_* \approx 10## degrees of freedom ?

DoobleD said:
Seems to be it, thank you ! I get, using ##T_\rm{GUT} \approx 10^{15} ~\rm{GeV} = 10^{18} MeV## :

##t \approx \frac{9}{4\sqrt{10}T^2} \approx 7 \times 10^{-37} s##, which is close enough.

I have a few books that give expressions equivalent to Baumann's (3.2.68), but, as far as I can see, I have only one book that explicitly uses this expression to estimate ##t_\rm{GUT}##, "Introduction to General Relativity" by Lewis Ryder.

DoobleD said:
One thing I'm not sure about though is why the choice of ##g_* \approx 10## degrees of freedom ?

We are only looking at order of magnitude stuff. Even so, this is probably too small by an order of magnitude or so, since ##T_\rm{GUT} \approx 10^{15} ~\rm{GeV} ## or ##T_\rm{GUT} \approx 10^{16} ~\rm{GeV}## for the Minimal Supersymmetric Standard Model (MSSM), which has loads of particle species.

Likes DoobleD
George Jones said:
We are only looking at order of magnitude stuff. Even so, this is probably too small by an order of magnitude or so, since TGUT≈1015 GeVTGUT≈1015 GeVT_\rm{GUT} \approx 10^{15} ~\rm{GeV} or TGUT≈1016 GeVTGUT≈1016 GeVT_\rm{GUT} \approx 10^{16} ~\rm{GeV} for the Minimal Supersymmetric Standard Model (MSSM), which has loads of particle species.

Right, ##g_*## doesn't change much the estimation anyway. I was just curious of what those degrees mean, but doesn't really matter.

George Jones said:
I have a few books that give expressions equivalent to Baumann's (3.2.68), but, as far as I can see, I have only one book that explicitly uses this expression to estimate tGUTtGUTt_\rm{GUT}, "Introduction to General Relativity" by Lewis Ryder.

Thanks, I got the book and found it indeed, on page 384. I'll keep those two references.

What is the GUT epoch?

The GUT epoch, or Grand Unification Theory epoch, is a period of time in the early universe, lasting from approximately 10^-36 seconds after the Big Bang to 10^-32 seconds. During this time, the four fundamental forces of nature (gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force) were still unified into a single force.

Why did the GUT epoch end at ~10^-36 s?

The end of the GUT epoch is marked by a process called symmetry breaking, where the unified force splits into the four separate forces we see today. This occurred as the universe continued to expand and cool, causing the energy levels to drop and the forces to become distinct.

What evidence supports the existence of the GUT epoch?

One major piece of evidence for the GUT epoch is the fact that the four fundamental forces we observe today can be mathematically unified at high energies, suggesting that they were once a single force. Additionally, observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation, the leftover energy from the Big Bang, also support the existence of this early period in the universe's history.

Are there any unresolved questions about the GUT epoch?

While the GUT epoch is a well-supported theory, there are still some unanswered questions about this period in the universe's history. For example, scientists are still trying to understand the exact process of symmetry breaking and what caused it to occur at a specific time during the universe's expansion.

How does the end of the GUT epoch relate to the formation of matter in the universe?

During the GUT epoch, the universe was still too hot and energetic for matter to form. However, as the universe continued to expand and cool, the energy levels dropped enough for particles to start combining to form protons and neutrons. This ultimately led to the formation of atoms and the beginning of the matter-dominated era of the universe.