Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wi-Fi Max?

1. Apr 24, 2004 #1
    I hear there is a new type of wireless network coming out, allowing 25 mile radius hotspots? Is this true??

I mean, I'd love to buy a 25 mile radius router for my cable modem. I could use my **** at school!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2004 #2
    Wi-Fi security

You might have security issues, with a 25 mile hotspot radius.

4. Apr 24, 2004 #3
    If I had my router with a changed default password, and with MAC address filtering on, how could they get into my network?

5. Apr 24, 2004 #4
    Inherhent unsecurity of Wi-Fi

MAC addresses are supposed to be unique, but you can change the one on a given device to whatever you like simply by burning a new EEPROM chip.

You're using WPA, right (and not the out-of-date WEP)? The longer (than 20 characters), the better:

• As the standard states, passphrases longer than 20 characters are needed to start deterring attacks. This is considerably longer than most people will be willing to use.

This offline attack should be easier to execute than the WEP attacks.

Using Random values for the PSK

The PSK MAY be a 256-bit (64 hexadecimal) random number. This is a large number for human entry; 20 character passphrases are considered too long for entry. Given the nature of the attack against the 4-Way Handshake, a PSK with only 128 bits of security is really sufficient, and in fact against current brute-strength attacks, 96 bits SHOULD be adequate. This is still larger than a large passphrase, but is unlikely to be in a dictionary attack. Using a relatively small random value represented in hexadecimal, and entering it as a passphrase will expand it to a proper 256-bit PSK.

6. Apr 24, 2004 #5
    Aye, but if a hacker is that determined to get 54mbs (or whatever unit) or 11mbs internet access, then so be it. I'd doubt any hacker would be so determined to gain access to my network that he'd burn an EEPROM. How would they get my MAC address anyway?

Regardless, what is the news on this technology? Is this WiFi-Max meant for home use? Price?

7. Apr 25, 2004 #6
    Big MAC snortack

Sniff.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?