Wind pressure force for complex profiles ?

In summary: C_\mathrm{f} " is the force coefficient in the direction of the wind at an angle of incidence (θ) to the normal to the face of the beam.
Aleksej
How to calculate the force of wind pressure, for example for the surface tilted at 45 degrees?

I need to find some serious work related to the wind pressure force calculated for different 3D shapes affected by wind from different angles.

Can somebody recommend me the good names, keywords and sites for this?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are some standards that are based on simple calculations, for instance ISO 4302. If you need something more sofisticated, I don't know if there are other ways of doing it than simulations.

I guess that "wind load" is the keyword here.

Thank you very much, I will try to use it but they consider "force in the direction of the wind", I need more something like full force.

Aleksej said:
Thank you very much, I will try to use it but they consider "force in the direction of the wind", I need more something like full force.
If you're talking about the ISO standard, they are considering full force. That's the point of the exercise: figuring out the maximum load on a structure in order to design it such that it can resist in strong winds.

You see what they write:

---------

4 Wind load calculations

For most complete and part structures, and individual members used in crane structures, the wind load, F, in kiloNewtons, is calculated from the formula

F = A * p * Cf

A is the effective frontal area of the part under consideration, in square metres, i.e. the solid area projection on to a plane perpendicular to the wind direction;

p is the wind pressure corresponding to appropriate design condition, in kiloNewtons per square metre;

Cf is the force coefficient in the direction of the wind, for the part under consideration (see clause 5).

--------

Their coefficient is "in the direction of the wind".

Aleksej said:
Their coefficient is "in the direction of the wind".
Yes, the force coefficient, which depends on the geometry of the beams, is calculated for face-on load. Then, in section 5.4, the equation is modified to take into account wind at an angle:
$$
F = A p C_\mathrm{f} \sin^2 \theta
$$

Related to Wind pressure force for complex profiles ?

1. What is wind pressure force for complex profiles?

Wind pressure force for complex profiles is the measurement of the force exerted by wind on structures or objects with irregular or complex shapes. It takes into account the shape, size, and orientation of the object as well as the speed and direction of the wind.

2. How is wind pressure force for complex profiles calculated?

Wind pressure force for complex profiles is typically calculated using computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations or wind tunnel testing. These methods take into account the various factors that affect wind pressure, such as the shape of the object, wind speed, and air density, to determine the force exerted on the object.

3. Why is it important to consider wind pressure force for complex profiles in structural design?

Wind pressure force for complex profiles is an important factor to consider in structural design because it can greatly affect the stability and safety of a structure. If the wind pressure force is not properly accounted for, it can lead to structural failures or damage.

4. How does wind pressure force for complex profiles differ from wind pressure force for simple shapes?

Wind pressure force for complex profiles differs from wind pressure force for simple shapes because it takes into account the non-uniform and irregular shape of the object. Simple shapes, such as squares and circles, have a consistent wind pressure force across their surface, while complex profiles can have varying wind pressure forces depending on their shape and orientation.

5. Can wind pressure force for complex profiles be reduced?

Yes, wind pressure force for complex profiles can be reduced through various design strategies such as shaping the structure to be more aerodynamic, using wind deflectors or barriers, or incorporating structural elements that can withstand higher wind pressures. Properly accounting for wind pressure force in the design stage can also help to reduce the overall force exerted on the structure.