How can I find my WEP key on an existing wireless network?

In summary, the person is looking for their WEP key to add a new PS3 to their wireless network. They are advised to access their router's admin area using the router's IP address and navigate to the wireless settings. The default password is usually "admin" or "password".
FredGarvin
Science Advisor
I set up my wireless network some time ago. I want to add a recently purchased PS3 to my network, but I can not find my WEP key. Is there any way to track this down on my existing network?

Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
FredGarvin said:
I set up my wireless network some time ago. I want to add a recently purchased PS3 to my network, but I can not find my WEP key. Is there any way to track this down on my existing network?

Thanks.

Go into your router admin area

Yes, type your router's ip address into the address bar in your web browser.
If your not sure on what your router's ip address is open up cmd and type ipconfig /all .
Now that you have accessed the router, use the instructions to navigate your way to wireless settings or something along those lines.

In your internet browser type 192.168.1.1 for most routers, or 192.168.0.1 for others.

Default password is usually "admin" or "password"

Cool. Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

1. What is a wireless network?

A wireless network is a type of computer network that allows devices to connect to the internet or other devices without the use of physical cables. It uses radio waves to transmit data between devices, such as laptops, smartphones, and routers.

2. How do I access my wireless network settings?

To access your wireless network settings, you will need to open the network settings on your device. This can typically be found in the "Settings" menu or by clicking on the network icon in the taskbar. From there, you can view and make changes to your wireless network settings.

3. What are the different types of wireless networks?

There are several types of wireless networks, including Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, cellular networks, and satellite networks. Wi-Fi is the most common type and is used for connecting devices to the internet. Bluetooth is used for short-range wireless connections between devices. Cellular networks use mobile data to connect devices to the internet, and satellite networks use satellites to provide internet access in remote areas.

4. How can I improve my wireless network connection?

There are several ways to improve your wireless network connection, including moving closer to the router, removing any physical obstructions between your device and the router, and changing the wireless channel on your router. You can also consider upgrading your router or using a wireless range extender to improve your network's coverage.

5. How do I secure my wireless network?

To secure your wireless network, you can set a strong password for your Wi-Fi network, enable network encryption, and disable network broadcasting. It is also recommended to regularly update your router's firmware and avoid connecting to public or unsecured networks.