Wiring a DC motor to two 9 volt batteries

In summary, the conversation is about a beginner asking for help on how to wire a 9V DC motor to 2 9V batteries in parallel to power a propeller. They also discuss changing the voltage for the motor and the difference between wiring in parallel and series. The expert suggests using 4 batteries in 2 pairs of series batteries connected in parallel to achieve the desired voltage and speed for the motor.
bcheero
Hey everyone. I'm a beginner when it comes to making stuff with motors and batteries. Could anyone give me a link or a very good explanation on how to wire a 9 volt DC motor to 2 9V batteries (that are supposed to be wired in parallel) to power a propeller? I have the motors and the batteries, but I need the necessary wiring and knowledge to construct it.

Thanks for the help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
9VMotor.jpg

You connect the positive terminals of the batteries together and to one lead of the motor, then the negative terminals together and to the other lead on the motor.

Fish

Wow, thank you very much. I really appreciate the help!

Also, can you tell me how to change the voltage on this DC motor? http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102827

The device that I'm using to power should have a maximum of 12 V, but this motor can go to 18 V. I can't let this compromise my entire project on the day of competition.

There is nothing to "change", just use the diagram above and all will be fine.

Fish

Excuse me for my lack of knowledge regarding this, so you're saying that it'll stay at 9V.

AH I see now. When wiring something in parallel, the total voltage stays the same. So in effect, the motor will still be running at 9 V. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong with the physics behind this.

Since you have a 18VDC motor you could wire the 2 9V batteries in series. That is connect the batteries + to - with the remaining + and - terminals to your motor. This will give you 18V and the highest speed. It will also drain your batteries faster. To resolve that you could use 4 batteries, 2 pair of series batteries connected in parallel as in post #3.

Related to Wiring a DC motor to two 9 volt batteries

1. How do I wire a DC motor to two 9 volt batteries?

To wire a DC motor to two 9 volt batteries, you will need a breadboard, two 9 volt batteries, a DC motor, and jumper wires. First, connect the positive terminal of one battery to the negative terminal of the other battery using a jumper wire. Then, connect the positive terminal of the other battery to the positive terminal of the motor. Finally, connect the negative terminal of the motor to the negative terminal of the first battery. This will create a parallel circuit, allowing the motor to receive a total of 18 volts.

2. What is the purpose of using two 9 volt batteries?

The purpose of using two 9 volt batteries is to increase the voltage supplied to the DC motor. By connecting them in parallel, the batteries will work together to provide a total of 18 volts, which can increase the speed and power of the motor.

3. Can I use a single 18 volt battery instead?

Yes, you can use a single 18 volt battery instead of two 9 volt batteries. However, it is important to make sure that the battery is compatible with the motor and can handle the increased voltage. Using a battery with a higher voltage than the motor can handle may damage the motor.

4. What happens if I connect the batteries in series instead of parallel?

If you connect the batteries in series, the positive terminal of one battery will be connected to the negative terminal of the other battery. This will create a series circuit, where the voltage will be doubled (18 volts x 2 = 36 volts). This may be too much for the motor to handle and could potentially damage it.

5. Is it safe to wire a DC motor to two 9 volt batteries?

As long as the batteries and motor are compatible, it is safe to wire a DC motor to two 9 volt batteries. However, it is important to handle the batteries with caution and follow proper safety precautions, such as wearing gloves and avoiding short circuits. Additionally, it is important to make sure that the wiring is done correctly to prevent any potential hazards.