Witness Life of Universe from Black Hole Event Horizon

In summary, it is impossible for B to witness the entirety of the progression of events in the rest of the universe, either by hovering at the event horizon or by slowing down with infinite energy before crossing it. The only way to observe the future of the universe would be to hover just outside the horizon, but this would also come with dangers such as being cooked by radiation or crushed by acceleration.
Ping
I know there are many threads about falling into black holes and I'm sorry for posting another one. I have a specific question and couldn't find the answer in prior threads, although it's possible that it's there somewhere. If A is outside the supermassive black hole and B falls into it, I know that A will never see B cross the event horizon. The image of B will get dimmer and dimmer from A's perspective as A's coordinate time ticks off to infinite. I know that the proper time for B to reach the singularity is finite. I know that if B is looking back at A, B will only see a finite number of photons from A, and B will not witness the progression of the entire life of the rest of the universe.
Now imagine that B is falling in a spaceship with his rocket boosters pointed towards the black hole.​
B can look out the front window of his ship at A. If B turns on his rocket boosters just before passing into the singularity or being ripped apart by tidal forces, and B expends an infinite amount of energy, then can B hold himself in position or slow himself and witness the entirety of the progression of events in the rest of the universe? If this is impossible after crossing the event horizon, then can B hold himself at the event horizon using this energy and witness the same thing?
I apologize if I've assumed anything wrongly. I realize its impossible for B to have an infinite energy​
source on his ship.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ping said:
If B turns on his rocket boosters just before passing into the singularity or being ripped apart by tidal forces, and B expends an infinite amount of energy, then can B hold himself in position or slow himself and witness the entirety of the progression of events in the rest of the universe?

No.

Ping said:
If this is impossible after crossing the event horizon, then can B hold himself at the event horizon using this energy and witness the same thing?

No. It is not possible to "hover" at or inside the horizon, only outside it.

Although hovering at the event horizon is impossible, hovering just outside the horizon is allowed. If one were to hover close enough, one could see as much of the future of the rest of the universe as one pleased. (And get cooked by the blue-shifted radiation).

jbriggs444 said:
(And get cooked by the blue-shifted radiation).

If you weren't crushed by the severe acceleration. :eek:

Likes jbriggs444

Related to Witness Life of Universe from Black Hole Event Horizon

1. What is a black hole event horizon?

A black hole event horizon is a boundary around a black hole where the escape velocity exceeds the speed of light. This means that anything, including light, that crosses the event horizon is unable to escape the gravitational pull of the black hole.

2. Can we see the life of the universe from a black hole event horizon?

No, we cannot directly see the life of the universe from a black hole event horizon. The intense gravitational pull of the black hole distorts and bends light, making it impossible for us to see beyond the event horizon.

3. How does a black hole event horizon affect time?

The gravitational pull of a black hole is so strong that it warps space-time, causing time to slow down near the event horizon. This effect, known as gravitational time dilation, means that time passes more slowly for an observer near the event horizon compared to someone further away from the black hole.

4. Is there any way to observe the life of the universe from a black hole event horizon?

While we cannot directly observe the life of the universe from a black hole event horizon, some scientists believe that we may be able to indirectly observe it through gravitational waves. These are ripples in space-time that are produced when massive objects, such as black holes, collide. By studying these gravitational waves, we may be able to learn more about the universe from a black hole's perspective.

5. What other important information can we learn from studying black hole event horizons?

Studying black hole event horizons can provide valuable insights into the laws of physics and the behavior of matter under extreme conditions. It can also help us understand the formation and evolution of galaxies, as black holes are thought to play a crucial role in shaping the structures of our universe.