Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

  • Thread starter Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8,784 replies · 462K views
jack action said:
I've been thinking about evaluating the ideal seed word for a long time. @OmCheeto shared his method and got me thinking.
Indeed, the correct measure is remaining entropy. The aim of the game is to decrease entropy to zero.

jack action said:
This idea of evaluating the patterns came to me. I'm still trying to figure out a proper way to weigh them.

This is a question I asked myself as well. How to weigh a seed word that gives only a single valid pattern with 1 possible solution with another giving 150 valid patterns with 400 possible solutions each?
Expected remaining entropy after the seed seems like a reasonable idea.

jack action said:
But, for the first option, isn't it ##10\cdot1\log_2(1) = 0##? Which gives us the same problem.
It is ##10\log_2(1) + 1000 \log_2(1000)##. It is never an issue because I am not dividing by those zeros. A zero in the sum indicates a pattern where the puzzle is solved - no entropy left in that pattern.

jack action said:
So I gave your method a try and the results are (comparing with the previous post):
Code:
4588.20531194210523224391 arise
4675.54314301487405749215 saner
4676.11281919344526423557 arose
4721.76625519139482748979 least
4728.89845461676390824165 stare
4758.30369784855998400051 later
4776.94838870606320728379 parse
4787.55291969866344838355 alert
4830.69125524560430809960 roast
4845.61333562902289041874 siren

[...]

8803.49726239582453041463 kappa
8814.80630391203441924483 femme
8939.14471626754972523066 slyly
9069.06715927188421580731 ninny
9237.85859957449918736648 eerie
10004.90304370215078150383 mamma
10198.61998557413705737079 geese
11435.74223379053281061499 emcee
11507.15016864005646684804 melee
11625.47238092071591300699 tepee

I like this one better because it has more popular letters in the first words and all the last words have very few letters, which seems logical. The list also looks more like the one from @OmCheeto . The one in the previous post had a lot of b's in the first words which seems odd.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I should also say:

If you want to normalize the comparator, it should also be divided by the total number of remaining words. This will give the expected entropy after using the seed. This would be more relevant to compare seeds between days as the normalization would do nothing for the order on a particular day (all comparators receive the same normalising factor). As the base entropy keeps decreasing as words are used up, the expected entropy after one guess should also generally decrease.
 
Wordle 1,256 6/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
🟨🟨🟨🟩⬜
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩 another dumb mistake
🟩⬜⬜⬜⬜ filter
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I need to slow down and think more before leaping
 
gmax137 said:
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩 another dumb mistake
🟩⬜⬜⬜⬜ filter
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I need to slow down and think more before leaping
This is more or less what happened last time I lost my streak except I managed to misspell the solution… 581 days ago …
 
gmax137 said:
Wordle 1,256 6/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
🟨🟨🟨🟩⬜
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩 another dumb mistake
🟩⬜⬜⬜⬜ filter
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I need to slow down and think more before leaping
Me too.?:)
 
Orodruin said:
No guess based on likelihood? Could have had it in 3?
If I had done it, it would have probably been the same word, although it would have been a very tough choice. But the true reason I selected my third guess is that this word guaranteed the answer in 4. (Now that I look at it again, I realize that OPTIC and WITCH would also have done the job.)
 
jack action said:
it would have been a very tough choice
yeah, I had jerk, DITCH, HITCH, PITCH, WITCH. So I eliminated jerk (following @jack action 's human input theory) and went with PITCH. But my second guess had been STRAP, so I shouldn't have even thought PITCH to be viable. A dumb mistake. Instead of PITCH I should have used a filter maybe DWEEB. Hindsight, you know, lol.
 
jack action said:
If I had done it, it would have probably been the same word, although it would have been a very tough choice.

1732646549052.jpeg
 
  • Informative
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jack action, gmax137 and edwardII
Orodruin said:
That's the downside of being a recluse.
I don't pay for movies anymore, so I may catch that one only in a few years, on free TV ... if it is successful enough.

So I couldn't find anything positive about that word unless we were near Halloween.
 
jack action said:
That's the downside of being a recluse.
I don't pay for movies anymore, so I may catch that one only in a few years, on free TV ... if it is successful enough.

So I couldn't find anything positive about that word unless we were near Halloween.
I mean, it is an a posteriori construction for me as well. I also went PITCH for the third guess. I probably should have thought more about it because it was not an actual filter for me. I was risking a 5.
 
Wordle 1,257 4/6
⬜🟩🟩⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟩⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

#GuessTheHouse #64
🏠 🟩 ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜
#DwellingDecoder
[Spam link deleted by the Mentors]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wordle 1,257 4/6

🟨⬛⬛🟨⬛ [ARISE] 34 left
⬛🟩🟩⬛⬛ [PLATY] filter - 2 left: SLACK SLANG
🟩🟩🟩⬛⬛ [SLACK] most probable (even though I'm not too fond of either word) - 1 left
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 [SLANG]

most-probable method count update (Success/Fail): 38/17 - 69.1%/30.9%
 
Wordle 1,258 4/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ [ARISE] 79 left
⬛🟨⬛⬛⬛ [LOUSY] filter - 3 left: CHOCK KNOWN THONG
🟨⬛🟩⬛⬛ [KNOWN] most probable - 1 left
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 [CHOCK]

most-probable method count update (Success/Fail): 38/18 - 67.9%/32.1%
 
Wordle 1,258 4/6

⬜🟦⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜🟦
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

This is the first time I had to exclude half the alphabet before getting any letter in the correct place only to get all 5 simultaneously in the end. The incorrectly placed letter in guess 1 position 2 is the same as in guess 3 position 5. This illustrates the usefulness of filters with "orthogonal" letters.
 
dwarde said:
Wordle 1,258 5/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟩⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟩⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 I used up most of the alphabet but I finally got there. :cool:
I think these are the types of wordle games that turn people to the dark side and start using spreadsheets and computer programs to figure out ways of battling such beasts.