Work and Fluid Force: Calculus II

In summary, the conversation is about two problems involving finding the work necessary to pump water out of a tank and the fluid force on a submerged plate. The conversation includes setting up integrals, using correct formulas, and clarifying confusion. The expert summarizer provides guidance and clarification on how to correctly solve the problems.
LCKurtz said:
The only thing you had wrong in your original post was the depth of 5-y instead of -y. Why are you now suddenly saying y goes from 0 to 4? Don't you remember your choice of coordinates?

Oh! Oh! Oh!

Sorry! Sorry! I was looking at the other thread and got mixed up!

The limits are -5 to -1!

-154/3?

I did something wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
think4432 said:
Oh! Oh! Oh!

Sorry! Sorry! I was looking at the other thread and got mixed up!

The limits are -5 to -1!

-154/3?

I did something wrong?

Do you have -5 as the lower limit and -1 as the upper like you should? It should come out positive and don't forget the water density.

LCKurtz said:
Do you have -5 as the lower limit and -1 as the upper like you should? It should come out positive and don't forget the water density.

Theres no pi in this problem, correct?

So the problem is just the limits a = -1 and b = -5 and integrating (7/24)(y^2) + (2y+3)

With the water density of 62.4 lb/ft^3 outside of the integral as a constant? Correct?

I still get 154/3(62.4)

And then when I multiply that out I get 3203.2 ft(lb)

LCKurtz said:

think4432 said:
Theres no pi in this problem, correct?

So the problem is just the limits a = -1 and b = -5...

Did you read my question: Do you have -5 as the lower limit and -1 as the upper like you should?

LCKurtz said:
Did you read my question: Do you have -5 as the lower limit and -1 as the upper like you should?

Yes. Sorry I just had a typo A = -5 and B = -1

When you evaluate -5 [lower limit] you get -1225/24
And when you evaluate the -1 [upper limit] you get 7/24

So 7/24 - (-1225/24)

You get 154/3 times the weight density.

Which is 154/3 * 62.4

= 3203.2

?

think4432 said:
I still get 154/3(62.4)

And then when I multiply that out I get 3203.2 ft(lb)

The numbers look OK now. But you need to quit guessing at the units. What was this problem asking for? What would the correct units for the answer be? Do you actually get those units?

I'm going offline now for the rest of the day. People arriving for big Father's Day party. Hopefully you can finish it up.

LCKurtz said:
The numbers look OK now. But you need to quit guessing at the units. What was this problem asking for? What would the correct units for the answer be? Do you actually get those units?

I'm going offline now for the rest of the day. People arriving for big Father's Day party. Hopefully you can finish it up.

Ok! Thank you very much.

Happy Fathers Day to you! Hope you enjoy the rest of your day!

Thanks so much for your help though.

You are great.