Work and isothermal compressibility

In summary: If you integrate by parts, you get∫-PdV = -PV + ∫VdPThe first term is evaluated at the limits 1 and 1000 atmospheres, not 1 and 1000 Pa. Also, since V is a function of P, you have to use the chain rule when you integrate VdP. So you get∫VdP = ∫V(P)dP = ∫V(P(P))dP = ∫V(P)^2 d(P) = ∫V^2/P d(P).The first term is evaluated at the limits 1 and 1000 atmospheres, not 1 and 1000 Pa. Also, since V
Chris B

Homework Statement

1 kg of water is at room temperature and the pressure is isothermally increased on the system from 1 atmosphere to 1000 atmospheres. What is the work done? What is the change in heat? What would be the temperature change if this was done adiabatically? The volumetric thermal expansion is 1.5 10-5/K and the isothermal compressibility is 4.9 10-12/Pa.

2. Relevant equation
PV=nRT
dW=-PdV
α=1/V(dV/dT)p = 1.5*10^-5/K (that's partial v partial t at constant p)
and
κ=-1/V(dV/dP)t (partial v partial p at constant t)

The Attempt at a Solution

So for part 1 I figure I have to get dW=-PdV into a form that has dP instead of dV, since we don't know the change in volume. I'm pretty much lost at that point. I'm not too clear on how to use Maxwell relations and partial derivatives are kind of confusing to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Chris B said:

Homework Statement

1 kg of water is at room temperature and the pressure is isothermally increased on the system from 1 atmosphere to 1000 atmospheres. What is the work done? What is the change in heat? What would be the temperature change if this was done adiabatically? The volumetric thermal expansion is 1.5 10-5/K and the isothermal compressibility is 4.9 10-12/Pa.

2. Relevant equation
PV=nRT
dW=-PdV
α=1/V(dV/dT)p = 1.5*10^-5/K (that's partial v partial t at constant p)
and
κ=-1/V(dV/dP)t (partial v partial p at constant t)

The Attempt at a Solution

So for part 1 I figure I have to get dW=-PdV into a form that has dP instead of dV, since we don't know the change in volume. I'm pretty much lost at that point. I'm not too clear on how to use Maxwell relations and partial derivatives are kind of confusing to me.

What is the definition of "isothermal compressibility"?

Can you integrate the equation ##\frac{1}{V}\frac{dV}{dP}=-κ## from the initial pressure to any arbitrary pressure P to get the volume at pressure P? Can you integrate PdV by parts?

Chet

I assume isothermal compressibility is just how easy or hard it is to compress something at constant temperature.

Can I integrate the equation for the compressibility? I'm not sure if you're allowed to separate dV and dP when they're partials at constant T. Like I said, I'm not comfortable with the partials yet. If you could separate them you'd get ln|V|=-κ P (would you not evaluate the integral for P at the limits 1 and 1000?). Then you'd exponentiate both sides so V = e-κP ?

PdV by parts is PV-∫VdP .

I'm still not seeing how that helps.

Chris B said:
I assume isothermal compressibility is just how easy or hard it is to compress something at constant temperature.

Can I integrate the equation for the compressibility? I'm not sure if you're allowed to separate dV and dP when they're partials at constant T. Like I said, I'm not comfortable with the partials yet. If you could separate them you'd get ln|V|=-κ P (would you not evaluate the integral for P at the limits 1 and 1000?). Then you'd exponentiate both sides so V = e-κP ?

That's it, except when you integrate, you get an arbitrary constant. So you have:
[itex]ln(V) = -\kappa P + C[/itex]
[itex]V = e^C e^{-\kappa P}[/itex]

You have to pick the constant [itex]C[/itex] so that when [itex]P = P_0[/itex], then [itex]V=V_0[/itex], where [itex]P_0[/itex] and [itex]V_0[/itex] are the initial pressure and volume.

Chris B said:
PdV by parts is PV-∫VdP .

I'm still not seeing how that helps.
In addition to what what stevendaryl just said, if you know V as a function of P, you can integrate VdP.

Chet

Okay, I think this gives me enough to work on. Thanks.

Actually I have one more question. When I do the integration by parts for -PdV I get -(PV-∫VdP). The first term in that equation should be evaluated at the limits 1 and 1000 Pa right? So I put V in terms of P, but then the P's cancel out (V=nRT/P) and there's nothing to evaluate. Is that right?

Chris B said:
Actually I have one more question. When I do the integration by parts for -PdV I get -(PV-∫VdP). The first term in that equation should be evaluated at the limits 1 and 1000 Pa right? So I put V in terms of P, but then the P's cancel out (V=nRT/P) and there's nothing to evaluate. Is that right?
No. Liquid water doesn't obey the ideal gas law.

Chet

1. What is work in relation to isothermal compressibility?

Work is the energy transferred to or from a system through the application of a force. In the context of isothermal compressibility, work refers to the energy required to compress a substance while maintaining a constant temperature.

2. How is isothermal compressibility defined?

Isothermal compressibility is a measure of the relative change in volume of a substance when subjected to a change in pressure at a constant temperature. It is expressed as the ratio of the percentage change in volume to the corresponding change in pressure.

3. Why is isothermal compressibility important in thermodynamics?

Isothermal compressibility is an important parameter in thermodynamics as it allows us to understand how a substance responds to changes in pressure while maintaining a constant temperature. It is also used to calculate other thermodynamic properties such as the bulk modulus and thermal expansion coefficient.

4. How is isothermal compressibility related to the compressibility factor?

The compressibility factor is a dimensionless quantity that represents the deviation of a real gas from an ideal gas. It is directly related to isothermal compressibility, as the compressibility factor can be calculated using the isothermal compressibility and other thermodynamic properties of a substance.

5. What factors affect the isothermal compressibility of a substance?

The isothermal compressibility of a substance is affected by its molecular structure, intermolecular forces, and temperature. Generally, substances with weaker intermolecular forces and higher temperatures have higher isothermal compressibility values.