Work and Kinetic Energy of barrel

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
ScienceGirl90
Messages
24
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A 45.0 kg barrel is raised 6.60 m (from rest) by cable that exerts 710 N on the barrel. Neglecting any frictional energy losses, how much work is done against gravity to lift the barrel and what is the net work done on the barrel?



Homework Equations


W=m*g*h
W=F*D


The Attempt at a Solution


I am confused about the wording, "against gravity". Also when I tried to find the net work done on the barrel I did W=(45.0kg)(9.80m/s/s)(6.60m)= 2910 J. Is that right?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
against gravity means you are lifting the object, opposing the action of gravity.
So your W(net) = W(grav) + W(cable)

now apply W=mgh for both cases, (keeping in mind the signs), and add them to get your net work.