Work & Vectors: Finding Force Work from Point to Point

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the work done by a force acting on a particle as it travels from one point to another. The formula for work is W=FD, where F is the force and D is the displacement. However, in this case, the dot product of the force and displacement vectors must be used. This was initially overlooked, but upon realizing this, the problem became straightforward.
silentsaber

Homework Statement

A force F = (2.7i + 3.2j) N is acting on a particle while it travels from the point (x, y) =
(1, -1) m to the point (2, 1) m. Find the work done by the force F on the particle.

Homework Equations

W=FD and A=SqRt of Ax^2+Ay^2

The Attempt at a Solution

ok i used the right triangle to find the resultant vector of the force F by squaring both the 2.7 and 3.2 then adding them and take the square root i got 4.18 so that should be the F in W=FD and then i foudn teh reultant vector of the coordinates 1,-1 and 2,1 and got square root of 5. which should be the distance and then i multiplied 4.18 and radical 5 and got 9.34 which is wrong.. where did i go wrong? btw 9.10 is the answer

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi silentsaber,

silentsaber said:

Homework Statement

A force F = (2.7i + 3.2j) N is acting on a particle while it travels from the point (x, y) =
(1, -1) m to the point (2, 1) m. Find the work done by the force F on the particle.

Homework Equations

W=FD and A=SqRt of Ax^2+Ay^2

The Attempt at a Solution

ok i used the right triangle to find the resultant vector of the force F by squaring both the 2.7 and 3.2 then adding them and take the square root i got 4.18 so that should be the F in W=FD and then i foudn teh reultant vector of the coordinates 1,-1 and 2,1 and got square root of 5. which should be the distance and then i multiplied 4.18 and radical 5 and got 9.34 which is wrong.. where did i go wrong? btw 9.10 is the answer

The problem is that the formula for work is not [itex]W=Fd[/itex] (product of magnitudes of force and displacement), it is

[tex]W=\vec F\cdot\vec d[/tex]

(dot product of force and displacement vectors). Are you familiar with the dot product? If so, then once you find the two vectors involved the problem is quite straightforward.

You're working with vectors. So you need to find the dot product. W = F dot D.

thankyou guys very much i totally forgot the dot product existed XD

Related to Work & Vectors: Finding Force Work from Point to Point

What is work?

Work is the measure of energy transferred when an object is moved by a force. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force.

How can work be represented using vectors?

Work can be represented using vectors by showing the magnitude and direction of the force applied to an object. The direction of the vector should be in the direction of the force, and the magnitude of the vector should be equal to the amount of work done.

How do you find the force work from point to point?

To find the force work from point to point, you need to know the magnitude of the force applied and the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. Then, you can use the formula W = F * d to calculate the work done.

What is the unit of measurement for work?

The unit of measurement for work is joules (J). One joule is equal to the amount of work done when a force of one newton is applied to an object and moves it one meter in the direction of the force.

How is work related to energy?

Work and energy are closely related as work is the measure of energy transferred when an object is moved by a force. In other words, work is a form of energy and is required to change the state of an object or cause it to move.