How Is Work Calculated When Pumping Water from a Half-Full Cylindrical Tank?

In summary, the problem is asking for the amount of work required to pump all the water, with mass m, from a cylindrical tank of height h, where the tank is half full. The solution involves considering the average distance along which the force acts, which is 3/4 of the tank's height. This accounts for the fact that not all the water is being pumped from the same height.
shogunultra
"A cylindrical tank of height h is half full of water, all of which is to be pumped up over the side of the tank. If the total mass of the water is m, how much work must be done by the pump?"

At first I tried this the easy way by simply assuming that I need to pump a mass m up to a height h, so the work would be just mgh, but somehow the result should be (3/4)mgh, I guess I have to account for the fact that not all the water comes from the same height, I however have no idea how to express this mathematically.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the average distance along which the force FG acts is 3/4h (h is the height of the tank) - you can think of all the mass being situated in this height.

I don't understand, it says that the tank is half full.

The top layer of water needs to be raised a distance h/2 while the bottom layer needs to be raised the full distance h. Thus the average height that each element of water needs to be raised is 3h/4.

What is work by a variable force?

Work by a variable force is the product of the force exerted on an object and the distance over which the force is applied, when that force is not constant. In other words, it is the energy transferred to an object by a varying force.

How is work by a variable force calculated?

To calculate work by a variable force, you must integrate the force function with respect to displacement. This will give you the total work done over a given distance or displacement.

What is the difference between work by a variable force and work by a constant force?

The main difference between work by a variable force and work by a constant force is that the force is not constant in the former. This means that the amount of work done varies at different points along the distance or displacement.

What are some examples of work by a variable force?

Some examples of work by a variable force include pushing a shopping cart up a hill, lifting a weight with varying speed, and pulling a sled across different types of terrain. Any situation where the applied force is not constant can be considered work by a variable force.

How is work by a variable force related to kinetic and potential energy?

Work by a variable force is directly related to the change in kinetic and potential energy of an object. This is because the work done by the force results in a change in the object's energy. If the work is positive, the kinetic and/or potential energy of the object increases, and if the work is negative, the energy decreases.