Work Done by Gas Homework: Calculate W, Max Temp

In summary, the gas does work, but it does so in an adiabatic manner. The work done is the area under the curve.
akan

Homework Statement

An ideal gas is taken clockwise around the circular path shown in the figure.

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/5513/rw1864bp8.th.jpg http://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php

How much work does the gas do?
If there are 1.3 mol of gas, what is the maximum temperature reached?

Homework Equations

Not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem does not specify what type of process this is, so I don't know which equations to apply and how to handle this problem at all. Please help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's a way of plotting a continual change in pressure (or volume if you prefer)
Imagine the gas is in a piston and the plunger is pushed in then out so that plotted against time it forms a sine wave - this is just that plotted in circular form.

The important point is that you return to exactly the same pressure/volume as at the start!

I see that as pressure increases, volume also increases. So temperature, too, must increase. So there process is neither isothermal, nor isometric nor isobaric. Therefore, it has to be adiabatic. But the adiabatic formulas require a y value: (p_1 V_1 - p_2 V_2) / (y - 1). The value is not provided. I cannot calculate it from the graph because p V ^ y = const. does not appear to be true. What do I do?

How do you calculate the work done by an ideal gas?

[tex] W=\int P dV [/tex]

For a complete cycle, the integral is a closed path, so

[tex] W=\oint P dV [/tex]

Now, what does the line integral over a closed path give you? You could break it up into an upper hemisphere and lower hemisphere, then find the area below each. No calculus needed, just geometry. . .

I don't know how to calculate work from that equation, please explain that to me further. Thanks.

This is just like your other question with the pressure and volume.

Once again, this requires NO calculus at all (except maybe some theory). Normally you could divide the circle into an upper and lower hemisphere. Intergrate to find the area under the 2 hemispheres and take the difference to get the area of the circle.

Essentially, work equals the area of the circle. I'm sure you know how to find the area of a circle. (Hint: You may think that there are 2 different units so its impossible to find area since you don't know what radius to use, but if you just work out all the math with the units then you'll figure it out)

I have managed to solve this problem already, just haven't updated. Thank you.

So the work is the area under the curve, so isn't that 4pi?
As far the temp change...
pv = nRT
we know n, R, pinitial, vinitial, so we can figure out Tinitial:
Ti = PiVi/nR = 93.2 Kelvin. How would I know if it were in Celsius otherwise?

We know...
PiVi/Ti = PmaxVmax/Tmax

Pmax = 550 kPa, so Vmax = 7 L,
Tmax = PmaxVmax(Ti)/PiVi = 341.73 Kelvin.

Did I do this right?

Actually, I'm not sure how to calculate the Pmax and Vmax...

Think of it as an ellipse. The hints given above are pretty vague considering this is a really easy problem.

The PV in this case ( kilopascals * liters) yields an answer in Joules, but the problem wants the answer in Kilojoules.

What's the area of an ellipse?

Pi * A * B

where:

A = the radius for the kilopascal side

B = radius of the Volume side

pi * (200) (4) = 800 pi

divide that by 1000 and you get 2.51 kJ

cockybastard said:
The hints given above are pretty vague considering this is a really easy problem.

Welcome to Physics Forums :smile:

Please note, giving hints is how we give homework help here. We don't give out the solution, because we believe that does not help the student as much as getting them to think and understand the problem.

Since the question was asked 5 months ago, no harm done.

p.s. if you're interested in details of the homework help policy, scroll down to the "Homework Help:" section here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374

Related to Work Done by Gas Homework: Calculate W, Max Temp

1. What is "Work Done by Gas" and why is it important?

"Work Done by Gas" refers to the amount of work that a gas does as it expands or compresses. This concept is important because it helps us understand the behavior of gases and their ability to do work, which has applications in various fields such as thermodynamics and engineering.

2. How do you calculate "Work Done by Gas"?

The formula for calculating work done by gas is W = PΔV, where W is the work done, P is the pressure of the gas, and ΔV is the change in volume of the gas. This formula can be used for both isobaric (constant pressure) and isochoric (constant volume) processes.

3. What is the significance of finding the maximum temperature in this homework?

The maximum temperature is important because it represents the highest possible temperature that the gas can reach during the process. This helps us understand the efficiency of the process and can also provide insights into the behavior of the gas.

4. How can I determine the maximum temperature in this homework?

The maximum temperature can be determined by using the ideal gas law, which relates the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas. By manipulating this equation and plugging in the given values, you can solve for the maximum temperature.

5. What units should I use for the calculations in this homework?

The units for pressure, volume, and temperature should be consistent throughout the calculations. It is recommended to use SI units (Pascals for pressure, cubic meters for volume, and Kelvin for temperature) to ensure accurate and consistent results.