1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done by magentic field

1. Aug 26, 2012 #1
    Two straight current carrying conductors A and B are lying in a vertical plane as shown.The separation between them is h and mass per unit lenght of wires is λ.Keeping one wire fixed (say A),Bis raised by small hieght δh.
    Q-1 What would be the work done by external agent?
    Q-2 Will the work done by magnetic field zero?[Answer this question first. I m confused since i was told that the work done by magnetic force(just magnet force not Lorentz) is always zero.But the book says "Work done is non zero",i think the book's wrong]

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2012 #2
    The book is right work is being done as F.ds is working .
    In the case you are talking about F.ds the angle is 90 degree thats why no work done.

4. Aug 27, 2012 #3
    is the work done by magnetic force always zero??

5. Aug 27, 2012 #4
    See , when magnetic force acts on a charge , it doesn't change its speed , it just gives it centripetal acceleration . And direction of force is always perpendicular to motion .
    I can say when ever Force is acting perpendicular to the motion of the body , work done is zero .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook