How do I calculate the work done by melting ice?

In summary, the conversation was about finding the work done when 1 kilomole of ice melts at 0°C. The person understands that the work done is equal to PdV, but is unsure how to solve for P. They mention using the ideal gas law, but it is not relevant in this scenario. The pressure at which ice melts at 0°C is 1 atm.
cashmerelc
Okay, if you have 1 kilomole of ice melting at 0 C and you have a given latent heat of fusion of ice as 3.348 x 10^5 J/kg and the density of ice as 917 kg/m^3 and te density of water as 999.9 kg/m^3, I don't understand how to find the work done.

I know that work done is PdV, so it should be W=P(V2-V1).

I understand that the volumes is the mass in kg of the water molecules over the densities of ice and water. But how do you solve P?

P=nRT/V. so P = (1 kilomole)(8.314 x 10^3 j/kK)(273 K)/V.

I don't really understand how to solve for V.

Physics news on Phys.org
There's only one pressure where ice melts at 0°C. You're not really trying to bring the ideal gas law into a question about a solid and a liquid, are you?

1 atm?

Related to How do I calculate the work done by melting ice?

1. How is work done by melting ice calculated?

The work done by melting ice can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the ice by the latent heat of fusion, which is the amount of energy required to change a substance from a solid to a liquid state at a constant temperature.

2. Why is work done by melting ice considered to be a form of mechanical work?

Work done by melting ice is considered to be a form of mechanical work because it involves the transfer of energy through physical processes, such as the breaking of bonds and the movement of molecules.

3. Can work be done by melting ice at any temperature?

No, work can only be done by melting ice at its melting point, which is the temperature at which the solid and liquid phases of the substance are in equilibrium.

4. How does the work done by melting ice affect the surrounding environment?

The work done by melting ice absorbs heat from the surrounding environment, which can lead to a decrease in temperature and potentially affect other physical processes in the area.

5. Is the work done by melting ice reversible?

Yes, the work done by melting ice is reversible. If energy is added to the liquid water, it can be converted back to ice and the same amount of work will be done in the opposite direction.