1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work Done by the Gravitational Force

1. Oct 14, 2004 #1
    I can not figure out what I am doing wrong for this problem. Right now I have Wt = 60*.3*cos(50) = 12 J. If that is taken away, then it should be a 12 J difference right?

In Figure 7-33, a block of ice slides down a frictionless ramp at angle = 50°, while an ice worker pulls up the ramp (via a rope) with a force of magnitude Fr = 60 N. As the block slides through distance d = 0.30 m along the ramp, its kinetic energy increases by 80 J. How much greater would its kinetic energy have been if the rope had not been attached to the block?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2004 #2
    Work = Force * distance

Remember, you only need to multiply stuff by the cos (angle) or sin (angle) to get that component of force so it matches up with movement.

In this case, the 60 N applied in the opposite direction as the movement...so you don't need to find any of its components.

Simply, you would have a force of 60 N, and a distance of .30 m. With this info, you can easily find the energy.
  4. Oct 14, 2004 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The force and the displacement are both parallel to the surface of the ramp.
  5. Oct 14, 2004 #4
    I made that problem much harder than I should have. I understand now. Thanks for the help.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?