Work Done by the Gravitational Force

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a block of ice sliding down a frictionless ramp at a certain angle while a force is applied in the opposite direction. The kinetic energy of the block increases by 80 J, and the conversation explores how much greater the kinetic energy would have been if the force had not been applied. The solution involves calculating the energy using the force and displacement, and the conversation concludes with the understanding of the problem and gratitude for the help.
AtlBraves
I can not figure out what I am doing wrong for this problem. Right now I have Wt = 60*.3*cos(50) = 12 J. If that is taken away, then it should be a 12 J difference right?

In Figure 7-33, a block of ice slides down a frictionless ramp at angle = 50°, while an ice worker pulls up the ramp (via a rope) with a force of magnitude Fr = 60 N. As the block slides through distance d = 0.30 m along the ramp, its kinetic energy increases by 80 J. How much greater would its kinetic energy have been if the rope had not been attached to the block?

W0131-N.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Work = Force * distance

Remember, you only need to multiply stuff by the cos (angle) or sin (angle) to get that component of force so it matches up with movement.

In this case, the 60 N applied in the opposite direction as the movement...so you don't need to find any of its components.

Simply, you would have a force of 60 N, and a distance of .30 m. With this info, you can easily find the energy.

AtlBraves said:
I can not figure out what I am doing wrong for this problem. Right now I have Wt = 60*.3*cos(50) = 12 J. If that is taken away, then it should be a 12 J difference right?
The force and the displacement are both parallel to the surface of the ramp.

I made that problem much harder than I should have. I understand now. Thanks for the help.

1. What is work done by the gravitational force?

The work done by the gravitational force is the amount of energy transferred to an object as it moves against the force of gravity. It is a measure of the force's ability to do work on an object.

2. How is work done by the gravitational force calculated?

The work done by the gravitational force is calculated by multiplying the force of gravity by the displacement of the object in the direction of the force. The formula is W = F * d.

3. Can work be done by the gravitational force on objects at rest?

No, work cannot be done by the gravitational force on objects at rest. Work is only done when there is a displacement in the direction of the force. If an object is at rest, there is no displacement and therefore no work done.

4. Does the mass of an object affect the work done by the gravitational force?

Yes, the mass of an object does affect the work done by the gravitational force. The greater the mass of an object, the greater the work done by the gravitational force as it requires more force to move a heavier object against gravity.

5. How does the distance between objects affect the work done by the gravitational force?

The distance between objects affects the work done by the gravitational force as the force of gravity decreases as the distance between objects increases. Therefore, the work done by the gravitational force decreases as the distance between objects increases.