Work Done on a Block Dropped onto a Spring

In summary, the block is dropped onto a vertical spring that has a spring constant of k = 3.3 N/cm. The block becomes attached to the spring and compresses the spring 11 cm before momentarily stopping. While the spring is being compressed, the gravitational force on the block and the spring force work together to do work on the block of 3.3 J. If the speed at impact is doubled, the maximum compression of the spring is 18.15 J.
mb85
A 330 g block is dropped onto a relaxed vertical spring that has a spring constant of k = 3.3 N/cm (Fig. 7-42). The block becomes attached to the spring and compresses the spring 11 cm before momentarily stopping. While the spring is being compressed, what work is done on the block by (a) the gravitational force on it and (b) the spring force? (c) What is the speed of the block just before it hits the spring? (Assume that friction is negligible.) (d) If the speed at impact is doubled, what is the maximum compression of the spring?

For part A. the formula i figured I use is = Mgd cos 180
= (.33kg)(-9.8)(.11m) cos 180 (which is -1)
= 0.39 J

For part B. I was using the formula = - 1/2Kx^2
however I ran into some either arithmatic problems or technique. here is my work.
= -(1/2)(330N/m)(.11m)^2
= -18.15 J
But I am thinking there is a problem since the answer is incorrect.

For part C. I used the formula = 1/2mv^2 = Wnet = Wg +Wa
Wg = mgd and Wa = mk
so ultimately after reworking the formula, it became
v = Square root (gd + k) times 2
My question is... is the 2 included under the square root? or outside?
Not exactly sure where i went wrong, because the answer is incorrect.

For part D. i used d = v times square root (m/k)
but since part C is incorrect, this answer is also wrong. (or maybe the formula is too?)

Can someone help me understand where i made my mistakes. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, in question B. they ask for the spring force which is in units of Newtons.

The units in your answer are in joules, but you need them to be in Newtons in order for the answer to make sense.

*melinda* said:
Well, in question B. they ask for the spring force which is in units of Newtons.

The units in your answer are in joules, but you need them to be in Newtons in order for the answer to make sense.
melinda, they're asking for the work done by the spring force, not the force.

mb85, I think you just made an arithmetic error... I did the same calulation and got -2 J. Is this correct?

For part C... I'm not sure what you meant Ma to be. 1/2mv^2 = -Wnet = -(Wg + Ws), where Ws is the work done by the spring. Wg and Ws you found in parts A and B, respectively, so it's pretty much a matter of just inputting the values and solving for v. Pretty straightfoward, right?

Last edited:
yeah, they were algebra mistakes.

but i still cannot get part D, when the speed is doubled for the max. compression.
can someone please help me.:eek:

cancel that. i got it. thanks!

1. What is work done on a block dropped onto a spring?

Work done on a block dropped onto a spring refers to the transfer of energy from the block to the spring as the block falls onto it. This work is equal to the change in potential energy of the block-spring system.

2. How is the work done calculated in this scenario?

The work done can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the block by the distance the block falls onto the spring. This is known as the work-energy theorem, which states that the work done by a force is equal to the change in the kinetic energy of the object.

3. What factors affect the work done on a block dropped onto a spring?

The work done is affected by the mass of the block, the height from which it is dropped, and the stiffness of the spring. A heavier block, a higher drop height, and a stiffer spring will result in a greater amount of work done on the system.

4. Is the work done positive or negative in this scenario?

The work done is positive in this scenario, as the energy is being transferred from the block to the spring. This results in an increase in the potential energy of the system.

5. How is the work done related to the spring constant?

The work done is directly proportional to the spring constant, which is a measure of the stiffness of the spring. A higher spring constant will result in a greater amount of work done on the system, as the spring will resist the force of the falling block more strongly.