Calculating Work Done: A Physics Question for All Levels

In summary, the three methods for calculating work done are:1) Using F*\Delta x2) Knowing the block's initial and final kinetic energies3) Knowing the block's potential energy
Geographer
Hi all, would someone tell me how to calculate work done? We did this ages ago in school, but I can't seem to remember how to do it. There was also other things, but all I can remember is something like force x mass divided by something... sorry. :blushing: If anyone has the faintest clue what I mean then please help!

You must excuse my lack of knowledge of physics, but I assume this forum is for people of all levels.

Physics news on Phys.org
Work done can be calculated in a number of ways. In general it can be written as:

[tex]W_{total} = W_{conservative} + W_{non - conservative} [/tex]

This one is basically for when you have more then 1 force acting on a system where certain forces can be considered conservative (gravity for example) and certain forces can be considered non-conservative (friction for example).

[tex] W = F*\Delta x[/tex]

This is if you have a constant force acting on something for a certain distance. For example, say you have a force of 10N acting upon a block for 10m, you use that to say that 100 J of work have been done on the block.

[tex] - W = \Delta K + \Delta P[/tex]

This is for when you change something’s potential energy along with its kinetic energy. For example, if you are pushing a block up a hill and you know its initial kinetic and potential energy along with its final kinetic and potential energy, you can determine the work done on the block.

Thanks for your answer, Pengwuino; that has cleared it up for me.

Not exactly a physics question, but I hope someone can point me in the right direction: does anyone know of any active chemisty and geography forums (especially the latter). Most I've come across seem to be defunct with little activity; it's a shame they aren't all like this one!

1. What is work done?

Work done is a measure of the energy transferred to or from a system by a force. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the displacement of the object in the direction of the force.

2. How do you calculate work done?

To calculate work done, you need to multiply the force acting on an object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. The formula for work done is W = F x d, where W is work, F is force, and d is displacement.

3. What are the units of work done?

The SI unit for work done is joule (J). However, it can also be expressed in other units such as Newton-meter (Nm) or kilogram-meter squared per second squared (kg·m2/s2).

4. How does work done relate to energy?

Work done and energy are closely related. Work done is a measure of the energy transferred to or from a system by a force. In other words, work done is a way to convert energy from one form to another.

5. Can work done be negative?

Yes, work done can be negative. This occurs when the force and displacement are in opposite directions, meaning the force is acting against the motion of the object. For example, if you push a box up a hill and it rolls back down, the work done by you would be negative.