Work & Energy (Spring and moving mass)

In summary, the block is pulled 4 m to one side and the spring is stretched 1.403 m. The potential energy stored in the spring is 11.8125 J. The block is released and is constrained to move horizontally on the frictionless floor. The maximum speed it attains is 2.598 m/s.
CaptainSFS

Homework Statement

http://pyrofool.googlepages.com/picspring.gif

A block of mass m = 3.5 kg rests on a frictionless floor. It is attached to a spring with a relaxed length L = 5 m. The spring has spring constant k = 12 N/m and is relaxed when hanging in the vertical position. The block is pulled d = 4 m to one side. In this problem, the block is always constrained to move on the floor (i.e. it never leaves the floor).

By what amount is the spring extended?
I found this to be 1.403 m.

What is the potential energy stored in the spring?
I found this to be 11.8125 J.

The block is released but is constrained to move horizontally on the frictionless floor. What is the maximum speed it attains?
I found this value to be 2.598 m/s.

Let's change the problem a bit. When the spring is vertical (hence, unstretched), the block is given an initial speed equal to 1.4 times the speed found in the last part.

How far from the initial point does the block go along the floor before stopping?
I found this to be 4.848 m.

What is the magnitude of the acceleration of the block at this point (when the spring is stretched farthest)?

This is the last part I cannot figure out.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried taking the KE (23.1526) that I found and tried to divide it by the distance (4.848m) (W=Fxd). And then I divided this force by the mass thinking it would give me the acceleration, and that did not work. I do not know what to do now. =/

Any help would be very much appreciated. thanks. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What forces act on the block?

the force of the push, and the force of the spring?

CaptainSFS said:
the force of the push, and the force of the spring?
At the point in question--when the spring is stretched farthest--there is no longer any "push" to worry about. (The "push" was just to start it moving.) The only horizontal force is due to the spring. Figure out what that is and use Newton's 2nd law.

Alright, So I set up the force to equal -k*x (-12*4.848) and then divided this answer by 3.5kg (F/m=a). That doesn't yield the correct answer either.

How much does the spring stretch? (Not 4.848 m--that's how far the block moves horizontally.) What's the horizontal component of the spring force?

yeah i tried that too. I found the distance the spring stretched to be 1.9644m. (25+4.848^2=(sqrt(answer))) I then multiplied that by -k, and divided by mass, and still not the correct answer.

Again: What's the horizontal component of the spring force?

I'm not sure how I find the horizontal component of the spring force.

sorry, I'm really trying to wrap my head around this, I'm just finding it difficult right now.

CaptainSFS said:
I'm not sure how I find the horizontal component of the spring force.
You find its horizontal component just like you'd find the horizontal component of any other vector. The spring force is directed along the spring. The triangle dimensions are known. Use a little trig.

alright, thx. I was trying to do that last night, but gave up when I thought all i had was one side. I just used a previous triangle to find the angle, and then used that to find x. thanks for your help, I really appreciate your input. :)

Hi I have a very similar question. How did you find the maximum speed it attains?

r34racer01 said:
How did you find the maximum speed it attains?
Using conservation of energy.

Doc Al said:
Using conservation of energy.

I pretty lost can you explain that a little more?

1. What is the relationship between work and energy in a spring-mass system?

Work and energy are directly related in a spring-mass system. The work done on a spring-mass system is equal to the change in its potential energy. As the spring is compressed or stretched, it stores potential energy. This potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as the mass moves, and vice versa as the spring returns to its equilibrium position. Therefore, the work done on the system is equal to the change in its energy.

2. How do we calculate the potential energy of a spring-mass system?

The potential energy of a spring-mass system can be calculated using the formula PE = 1/2 * k * x^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position. The spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of the spring and is typically given in units of N/m.

3. What is the relationship between the spring constant and the stiffness of a spring?

The spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. The higher the spring constant, the stiffer the spring and the more force is needed to compress or stretch it. This relationship is linear, meaning that if the spring constant is doubled, the stiffness of the spring will also double.

4. How does the mass affect the oscillation of a spring-mass system?

The mass affects the oscillation of a spring-mass system by changing the period and frequency of the oscillation. The period is the time it takes for one complete oscillation, and the frequency is the number of oscillations per unit time. A larger mass will result in a longer period and a lower frequency, while a smaller mass will result in a shorter period and a higher frequency.

5. Can the total energy of a spring-mass system change over time?

Yes, the total energy of a spring-mass system can change over time due to external factors such as friction or air resistance. If there is no external force acting on the system, the total energy will remain constant. However, if there is an external force, work will be done on the system, resulting in a change in its energy. This is why real-life systems do not exhibit perfect oscillations and eventually come to a stop.