Calculating Volume for Stock Solution of Resveratrol

• Thread starter jackscholar
  • Start date
In summary, to make a stock solution of 1g/L of resveratrol with a molecular weight of 228.24g/mol and a final volume of 100mL, you would need to add 0.1 grams of resveratrol to 100mL. The amount of moles needed can be calculated by dividing the amount of compound by its molecular weight. It has been confirmed that 0.1 grams is enough to make a 1g/L stock solution.
jackscholar

Homework Statement

I need to make a stock solution of 1g/L. The compound is called resveratrol with a molecular weight of 228.24g/mol. I need the final volume to be 100mL. How do I find the volume of this compound needed to make 1g/L?. I know that the amount of moles is equal to the amount of compound there is divided by the molecular weight. And I'm sure I have enough resveratrol to make 1g/L.

Or would I just say that 0.1grams of resveratrol needs to be added to 100mL?

Physics news on Phys.org
jackscholar said:
Or would I just say that 0.1grams of resveratrol needs to be added to 100mL?

Yes, that's perfectly enough.

Thank you for the quick reply. I highly appreciate it.

1. What is a stock solution?

A stock solution is a concentrated solution that contains a high amount of solute dissolved in a specific amount of solvent. It is used as a source of the solute for making lower concentration solutions.

2. Why is it important to work out stock solutions?

Working out stock solutions is important because it allows for precise control of the concentration of a solution. This is especially important in scientific experiments where accurate and reproducible results are necessary.

3. How do you calculate the amount of solute needed to make a stock solution?

To calculate the amount of solute needed to make a stock solution, you need to know the desired concentration of the stock solution, the volume of the stock solution you want to make, and the molecular weight of the solute. You can then use the formula C1V1 = C2V2, where C1 is the concentration of the stock solution, V1 is the volume of the stock solution, C2 is the desired concentration of the final solution, and V2 is the volume of the final solution.

4. What is the difference between a stock solution and a working solution?

A stock solution is a concentrated solution that is used to make lower concentration solutions. A working solution is a solution that is ready to be used in an experiment or analysis. Working solutions are typically made by diluting the stock solution to a desired concentration.

5. How should stock solutions be stored?

Stock solutions should be stored in a cool, dry, and dark place to prevent degradation or contamination. They should also be labeled with the date, concentration, and any other relevant information. It is important to follow any specific storage instructions provided by the manufacturer or outlined in the protocol.