Would like to know a few basic things ^^

• Thread starter crays
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a person who is new to physics and is seeking basic information. They want to know the meaning of momentum, the difference between velocity and acceleration, and how to calculate acceleration, velocity, and displacement. The reply provides definitions and formulas for momentum, velocity, and acceleration, and suggests further resources for understanding the concepts.
crays
Would like to know a few basic things ^^"

Hi , I'm 4 months new to physics . I'm not sure of something , mind if you all tell me ?

I would like to know :
The meaning of momentom (not sure the spelling)
The different of velocity and acceleration
How to count acceleration , velocity , displacement in a ticker tape

THANKS a lot =) .

Physics news on Phys.org
Momentum, in classical mechanics, is simply the mass of a body multiplied by it's velocity; p = mv and is a conserquence of Newton's first law. Where no external forces act momentum is always conserved. Momentum can also be applied to rotating object in the form of angular momentum. In relativity and quantum mechanics momentum has a slightly difference meaning. More information is available here;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momentum
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/Momentum.html

The difference between velocity (v) and acceleration (a) is quite simple. Velocity is the rate of change of displacement (s), with respect to time (t), thus;

[tex]v = \frac{ds}{dt}[/tex]

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity with time, thus;

[tex]a = \frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{d^{2}s}{dt^{2}}[/tex]

As for the third question, I will leave than as an exercise for you, as it is an aplication of the above discussion.

~H

Hello! I am glad to hear that you are interested in learning more about physics. To answer your questions:

1. Momentum is a physical quantity that represents the amount of motion an object has. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity.

2. Velocity and acceleration are both related to an object's motion, but they are different quantities. Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time, while acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity with respect to time.

3. To calculate acceleration, you need to know an object's initial velocity, final velocity, and the time it takes to change from the initial to the final velocity. Acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time.

4. Ticker tape is a tool used to measure an object's motion. To calculate acceleration, velocity, and displacement using ticker tape, you will need to measure the distance between each tick mark on the tape and the time between each tick mark. Acceleration can be calculated using the formula mentioned above, velocity can be calculated by dividing the distance by the time, and displacement can be calculated by adding up all the distances between each tick mark.

I hope this helps! Keep exploring and learning about physics, and don't hesitate to ask more questions.

Related to Would like to know a few basic things ^^

1. What is the purpose of "Would like to know a few basic things ^^"?

The purpose of "Would like to know a few basic things ^^" is to gather basic information or knowledge on a certain topic.

2. How does "Would like to know a few basic things ^^" differ from other sources of information?

"Would like to know a few basic things ^^" is generally more concise and straightforward compared to other sources of information. It aims to provide essential and fundamental information on a specific topic.

3. Who can benefit from "Would like to know a few basic things ^^"?

"Would like to know a few basic things ^^" can benefit anyone who wants to gain a basic understanding or knowledge on a particular subject, regardless of their background or expertise. It can also serve as a quick refresher for those who need to brush up on their knowledge.

4. Are the information provided in "Would like to know a few basic things ^^" reliable?

The reliability of the information in "Would like to know a few basic things ^^" depends on the source it is coming from. It is always best to verify the information from multiple sources before considering it as accurate.

5. How can "Would like to know a few basic things ^^" be used in research or studies?

"Would like to know a few basic things ^^" can be used as a starting point for research or studies. It can provide a general overview of a topic and help researchers or students identify key areas to focus on for further investigation.