X-ray process and electrons involved

In summary, the process of producing X-rays involves an electron hitting a metal, causing a photon to be emitted. The electron is conducted away to a large sink and loses energy through collision with a core electron or deceleration through the metal, producing characteristic X-ray lines and a continuous distribution of X-rays. K(a), K(b), and K(g) refer to different X-ray lines, also known as K(alpha), K(beta), and K(gamma). To calculate these lines theoretically, one would need to solve the Schrodinger equation for a many-electron atom with approximation methods, such as the Slater prescription for effective nuclear charges. This is a difficult problem and may require the help of an expert like quetzalcoatl.
hagopbul
:confused:the X-Ray the process is like this:
An electron hit the metal so there is a photon is emitted.
My Q is what happened to the electron that cases the X-ray
And what is K(a),K(b),K(g).
Or we call them K(alpha),K(beta),K(gamma).

Physics news on Phys.org
hagopbul said:
:confused:the X-Ray the process is like this:
An electron hit the metal so there is a photon is emitted.
My Q is what happened to the electron that cases the X-ray
The target is typically grounded, so the impinging electrons are conducted away to a large sink. Before this happens, the electrons lose energy through 2 processes:
(i) by collision with a core electron in the metal atom, which it "kicks" out - this produces characteristic x-ray lines (K-alpha, K-beta, L-alpha, etc.)
(ii) by deceleration through the bulk of the metal - this produces a continuous distribution of x-rays, known as brehmstrallung.

And what is K(a),K(b),K(g).
Or we call them K(alpha),K(beta),K(gamma).
The nomenclature is explained here: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/xrayc.html#c1

but this is not enough

i know the information in the article that you gave but it is not enough and i need more sophisticated information like the effect of LS (marriage) and JJ(marriage)
and the effect of the [effective charge ] and can i calculate theoretically K(alpha),K(beta),K(gamma) and find them theoretically by using the Q mechanics without using the experiment]
and thank you very mach
and help !:cry::cry::confused:

I don't see why LS- and JJ-couplings are important in calculating the x-ray spectra. If you want to try to calculate the core energy levels of a pure target metal (say, Mo), then you will have to solve the Schrodinger equation for a giant many-electron atom, with your favorite choice of approximation (this is now a problem independent of x-rays). The only method I know of that one can get very approximate energies from is using the Slater presciption for calculating effective nuclear charges for electrons in different subshells. The approximation is way coarser than any fine-structure corrections, so orbitals within a subshell are considered degenerate.

Calculating the power spectrum of the Brehmstrallung is also a hard problem.

For more sophisticated calculations, the person here that can help is quetzalcoatl.

Last edited:

1. How do X-rays work?

X-rays are a type of electromagnetic radiation that have a shorter wavelength and higher energy than visible light. They are produced by accelerating electrons at high speeds and then directing them towards a target material. When the electrons collide with the target, they release energy in the form of X-rays.

2. What are the electrons involved in the X-ray process?

The electrons involved in the X-ray process are known as high-speed or high-energy electrons. These are typically produced by a specialized machine called an X-ray tube, which uses a high voltage to accelerate electrons and direct them towards a target material.

3. How are X-rays used in medical imaging?

In medical imaging, X-rays are used to create images of the inside of the body. The X-rays pass through the body and are absorbed at different rates by different types of tissue. This creates a contrast in the X-ray image, allowing doctors to see bones, organs, and other structures inside the body.

4. What safety precautions are necessary when working with X-rays?

X-rays can be harmful to living tissue, so it is important to take precautions when working with them. This includes using protective gear such as lead aprons and gloves, ensuring proper shielding and containment of X-rays, and following proper operating procedures to minimize exposure.

5. How have X-rays advanced scientific research?

X-rays have been important tools in scientific research since their discovery in the late 19th century. They have been used to study the structure of materials, including crystals and biological samples, and have been instrumental in fields such as medicine, biology, chemistry, and physics. They continue to play a crucial role in advancing our understanding of the world around us.