How Do You Calculate the Angular Momentum of a Rolling Sphere?

In summary, a solid sphere of mass m and radius 'a' rolling with a linear speed v on a flat surface without slipping has an angular momentum of {7/5}mav with respect to a point along the path of the sphere on the surface. This can be calculated using the parallel axis theorem, taking into account the moment of inertia of the sphere and its motion of pure rotation about the point of contact. The options given are {2/5}mav, {7/5}mav, mav, and {3/2}mav, with the correct answer being {7/5}mav. The confusion about the units of 'a' as acceleration is cleared up, as it actually stands for
Reshma
A solid sphere of mass m and radius 'a' is rolling with a linear speed v on a flat surface without slipping. The magnitude of the angular momentum of the sphere with respect to a point along the path of the sphere on the surface is?

Moment of inertia of the sphere along any of its diameters is:[itex]{2\over 5}ma^2[/itex]

By parallel axis theorem:
Moment of inertia of the sphere rolling with respect to a point on the surface is:[itex]{2\over 5}ma^2 + ma^2 = {7\over 5}ma^2[/itex]

So the angular momentum will be:[itex]L = {7\over 5}ma^2\omega ={7\over 5}mav[/itex]

The options given to me are:
[itex]{2\over 5}mav[/itex]
[itex]{7\over 5}mav[/tex]
[itex]mav[/itex]
[itex]{3\over 2}mav[/itex]

Is my answer correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the center of rotation...?

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
What's the center of rotation...?

Daniel.
The diameter of the sphere.

The diameter is a line. I asked about the center, which is a point...

Daniel.

The ball is rolling, so the motion is linear as well as rotational. Centre...you mean circumferential motion?

Yes, it has to be center if the ball, right...? So why would the angular momentum be calculated wrt to an axis around which the ball doesn't rotate...?

Daniel.

ok...so the ball has only circumferential momentum: So L = mav.
Thank you very much for your help :smile:.

dextercioby said:
Yes, it has to be center if the ball, right...? So why would the angular momentum be calculated wrt to an axis around which the ball doesn't rotate...?

Daniel.

We are talking of rotation and not circular motion.The locus of the points of contact of the sphere and the ground is a straight line and there is definitely an angular momentum associated with an axis through this line.
For eg, consider any point on the sphere.Even from this axis, u can still see that the point is executing pure rotation.
This shift in axis is actually useful in analysing rolling without slipping as it doesn't involve the translation of axis which is the case with an axis at the centre.
So the first answer is probably right.

Last edited:
You guys are confusing me...what is the actual answer here?

Reshma said:
So the angular momentum will be:[itex]L = {7\over 5}ma^2\omega ={7\over 5}mav[/itex]

I'm still trying to figure this line out. You seem to be saying [tex]a\omega=v[/tex]. Among other problems, the units are wrong.

Come to think of it:
ok...so the ball has only circumferential momentum: So L = mav.

mav doesn't have the right units either.

-Dan

Last edited:
Reshma said:
You guys are confusing me...what is the actual answer here?

I am pretty sure that the answer is
[tex]\frac{7}{5}mav[/tex].

Ps:Even if you were considering the "circumferential"(don't think the term exists !) angular momentum about an axis through the centre of the circular cross section of the sphere you wouldn't end up with mav.

In the eqn, 'a' stands for radius of the sphere and not acceleration.
So the dimensions do indeed match

Reshma said:
Is my answer correct?
Yes, your answer is correct. At any instant, the sphere can be considered to be in pure rotation about the point of contact.

You can also consider the sphere's motion to be a combination of (a) rotation about its center, plus (b) translation of its center. You'll get the same answer, of course.

arunbg said:
I am pretty sure that the answer is
[tex]\frac{7}{5}mav[/tex].

Ps:Even if you were considering the "circumferential"(don't think the term exists !) angular momentum about an axis through the centre of the circular cross section of the sphere you wouldn't end up with mav.

In the eqn, 'a' stands for radius of the sphere and not acceleration.
So the dimensions do indeed match

Oops! My apologies!

-Dan

Thanks for the confirmation, Doc Al and Arunbg for the clarification. So my answer is indeed correct!:biggrin:

1. What is angular momentum of a sphere?

The angular momentum of a sphere is a physical quantity that measures the rotational motion of the sphere around an axis. It is a vector quantity and is defined as the product of the moment of inertia and the angular velocity of the sphere.

2. How is angular momentum of a sphere calculated?

The angular momentum of a sphere can be calculated using the formula L = I * ω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

3. What factors affect the angular momentum of a sphere?

The angular momentum of a sphere is affected by the moment of inertia, the angular velocity, and the distribution of mass around the axis of rotation.

4. Can the angular momentum of a sphere change?

Yes, the angular momentum of a sphere can change if there is a change in any of the factors that affect it, such as the moment of inertia or the angular velocity. In a closed system, the total angular momentum remains constant, but it can be transferred between different objects.

5. What is the significance of angular momentum of a sphere?

The angular momentum of a sphere is an important concept in physics and is used to explain the rotational motion of objects. It is also a conserved quantity in closed systems, making it useful in analyzing various physical phenomena, such as the motion of planets and satellites.