Electrical engineering softwares

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a PC software that can be used to build electrical circuits and check the accuracy of analysis results. The mention of SPICE packages is made, including MicroCAP SPICE and PSPICE. The option of free SPICE tools, specifically the gEDA project, is also mentioned. LTSpice from Linear is recommended as a free and user-friendly option. The possibility of using MultiSim, with caution about personal licenses, is also brought up. The speaker suggests consulting with professors for software options available through the school.
mino206
Hi everyone,how is it going?
I wanted to ask you if you know any pc software that would allow me to build electrical cuircuits and have all the values of voltages and currents in order to check if my analysis results are correct or not.
Thanks
For info,I don't need a professional software(I'm only a freshman in EE),I just want to check my results in exercises.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You are describing a SPICE package. There are a number of them available, and there are some low cost (maybe free?) student packages available.

PSPICE is a common package used in schools. I use MicroCAP SPICE at work. You can google SPICE software to get info on other packages.

MicroCAP http://www.spectrum-soft.com/index.shtm

PSPICE http://www.cadence.com/orcad/index.html (you may have to click on PSPICE on the left)

(Edit -- I moved this to the EE forum for more views and feedback on other SPICE packages)

Last edited by a moderator:
As for free SPICE tools, look at the gEDA project:

http://www.geda.seul.org/

It includes a few simulators: ngspice, gnucap, etc.

- Warren

*smacks forehead*

How could I have forgotten LTSpice? It's better than virtually any other basic simulator out there. Thanks f95toli.

- Warren

I would talk to your professors and see what software your school has licenses for (assuming they do). I personally like MultiSim for general circuits. Although, I would not pay the money for the personal license.

1. What is electrical engineering software?

Electrical engineering software is a type of computer program designed specifically for use by electrical engineers. It is used to design, simulate, analyze, and optimize various electrical systems and components.

2. What are the benefits of using electrical engineering software?

Some of the main benefits of using electrical engineering software include increased efficiency, accuracy, and cost-effectiveness in the design and analysis of electrical systems. It also allows for easier collaboration and the ability to test and troubleshoot designs before implementation.

3. What are the different types of electrical engineering software?

There are various types of electrical engineering software, including computer-aided design (CAD) software, computer-aided engineering (CAE) software, simulation software, and programming software. Each type serves a different purpose and may be used for different stages of the design and analysis process.

4. How do I choose the right electrical engineering software for my needs?

The right electrical engineering software will depend on your specific needs and the type of projects you work on. It's important to research and compare different software options to find one that fits your requirements and budget. You may also consider consulting with colleagues or industry experts for recommendations.

5. Are there any free electrical engineering software options available?

Yes, there are some free electrical engineering software options available, but they may have limited features and capabilities compared to paid software. Some popular free options include LTSpice, QUCS, and KiCAD. It's important to carefully assess the features and limitations of free software before using it for important projects.