Factoring X4+1: Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter flyers
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factoring
In summary, my teacher gave us a hint that x4+1 can be factored into (ax2+bx+c)(ax2+bx+c) and that it can be written as (ax2+bx+c)(a-b). By solving for a and b, we find that they must be equal to each other.
flyers

Homework Statement

I am trying to factor x4+1 into two multiplied polynomials

Homework Equations

My teacher gave us this hint that its factored form is (ax2+bx+c)(ax2+bx+c)

The Attempt at a Solution

First i assumed that a and c were equal to 1 so that when x2 is multiplied by the other x2 is gives me x4 and 1 times 1 gives me 1. I knew that b had to be a constant so I multiplied...

(however i didnt know if both b's were the same so i split them into a and b. I also knew one of the constants must be negative so that variables cancel out.)

(x2+ax+1)(x2-bx+1)= x4+1

and I get

x4+ax3-bx3+2x2-abx2+ax-bx+1= x4+1 canceling terms I get

ax3-bx3+2x2-abx2+ax-bx=0

I noticed that to cancel out ax3-bx3 and ax-bx , a and b must be equal to each other. This means 2x2-abx2 = 0

2=ab(but they are the same) 2=b2

b=[tex]\sqrt{}2[/tex]

So i checked my answer and it works out, but I am wondering if there is a more systematic approach to solve this so that I don't have to assume as much as I did.

Physics news on Phys.org
x4+1 has no real roots, so at most you can factor it into complex roots

using i2=-1

x4-i2=(x2)2-(i)2

Welcome to PF!

Hi flyers! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ :wink:)
flyers said:
… So i checked my answer and it works out, but I am wondering if there is a more systematic approach to solve this so that I don't have to assume as much as I did.

You could have looked for a way to write it as the difference of two squares …

so complete the square …

x4 + 1 = (x2 + 1)2 - 2x2 :wink:

More generally …

x4 + 2(a-b)x2 + a2

= (x2 + a)2 - 2bx2

= (x2 + (√2b)x + a)(x2 - (√2b)x + a) :smile:

1. What is factoring?

Factoring is the process of finding the factors of a polynomial or equation. In other words, it involves breaking down a polynomial into its smaller, simpler components.

2. Why is factoring important?

Factoring is important because it helps us solve equations and find the roots or solutions. It also allows us to simplify complicated expressions and identify patterns in algebraic expressions.

3. How do I factor a polynomial like x4 + 1?

Step 1: Look for any common factors. In this case, there are no common factors between x4 and 1.

Step 2: Use the difference of squares formula to factor x4 + 1 into (x2 + 1)(x2 - 1).

Step 3: Factor x2 - 1 using the difference of squares formula again to get the final factored form of (x2 + 1)(x + 1)(x - 1).

4. What are the steps for factoring x4 + 1?

The steps for factoring x4 + 1 are: 1) Look for common factors, 2) Use the difference of squares formula, and 3) Simplify the resulting factors to get the final factored form.

5. Are there any special cases when factoring x4 + 1?

Yes, there is a special case when factoring x4 + 1. It can be factored into (x2 + √2x + 1)(x2 - √2x + 1), where √2 is the square root of 2. This is known as the sum of squares formula.