3rd Pundit revealed as being on Bush Admin's payroll.

• News
  • Thread starter wasteofo2
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the revelation of paid propaganda by the Bush administration through prominent Conservative commentators. The first instance involves Armstrong Williams receiving a large sum of money to promote the "No Child Left Behind" policy. This is followed by Maggie Gallagher, who received $21,500 to promote Bush's marriage initiative policy but did not disclose it in her writing. President Bush then vows to stop paying commentators to advance their agenda, but two days later it is revealed that a third Conservative commentator, Michael McManus, was also paid by the Department of Health and Human Services. The conversation ends with the realization that there is a clear conflict of interest in being paid by the administration and writing about their policies.
wasteofo2
#1: http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2005-01-06-williams-whitehouse_x.htm

I'm sure you're all aware of the first guy, Armstrong Williams, who got nearly a quarter of a million dollars to propagandize for the "No Child Left Behind" policy. He said that there were many others like him, but Conservatives scoffed at the notion, taking the same "it's only the work of a few bad apples," approach that they did with Abu Gharib. For a few weeks, you might have believed them, until...

#2: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A36545-2005Jan25.html

The next paid propagandist was Maggie Gallagher, a decidedly cheaper buy-off, who only got about $21 thousand to promote Bush's marriage initiative policy. This story broke (as far as I can tell) on January 25.

Washington Post said:
In 2002, syndicated columnist Maggie Gallagher repeatedly defended President Bush's push for a $300 million initiative encouraging marriage as a way of strengthening families[...]

But Gallagher failed to mention that she had a $21,500 contract with the Department of Health and Human Services to help promote the president's proposal. Her work under the contract, which ran from January through October 2002, included drafting a magazine article for the HHS official overseeing the initiative, writing brochures for the program and conducting a briefing for department officials.

"Did I violate journalistic ethics by not disclosing it?" Gallagher said yesterday. "I don't know. You tell me." She said she would have "been happy to tell anyone who called me" about the contract but that "frankly, it never occurred to me" to disclose it.

*Just then!*
[January 27] WASHINGTON -- U.S. President George W. Bush vowed yesterday that his administration will stop paying newspaper columnists and pundits to back its policies after the second right-wing commentator in a month acknowledged receiving a contract from a government agency to help promote one of its policies.

"All our cabinet secretaries must realize that we will not be paying commentators to advance our agenda," Mr. Bush told reporters. "Our agenda ought to be able to stand on its two feet."

Good job Mr. President, taking a stand against corruption in your administration, very nice. Even though it took you 1 too many propaganda scandals to come out with this statement, it's still a nice gesture.

So things are looking good, until *Two Days Later!*

New York Times said:
WASHINGTON, Jan.28 - The Bush administration acknowledged on Friday that it it had paid a third Conservative comentator, and at least two departments said they were conducting internal inquiries to see if other journalists were under government contract.

The Department of Health and Human Services confirmed having hired Michaerl McManus, who writes a weekly syndicated column and is director of a nonprofit group called Marriage Savers. Mr. McManus was paid $10,000 to help train counselors about marriage, an arrangement fist reported in USA Today, but officials said he was paid for his expertise rather than to write columns supporting administration policies.

I'm sure when any reasonable person looks at this situation, they'll see there is absolutely no conflict of interests between being paid by an administration and writing political columns about said administration's policies if you don't publicly announce that you were being paid to write those articles. So long as your "official" reason for being paid was [/i]not[/i] to write articles supporting policies and proposals that you are being paid to participate in, then there is clearly no conflict of interests at all.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Waste, you're wasting your breath. People know all this (okay, I'd only read and heard about the first one..I'm a little out of the loop right now), but will still go ahead and support this administration wholeheartedly.

It's just the most baffling and tragic phenomenon ever !

It's disturbing to see that yet another pundit has been revealed to be on the payroll of the Bush administration. This not only calls into question the integrity of these individuals, but also raises concerns about the administration's use of taxpayer money to push their agenda through media manipulation. It's a blatant disregard for journalistic ethics and a disservice to the American people who rely on unbiased and accurate information from the media. It's reassuring to see that the President has finally taken a stand against this corrupt practice, but it's concerning that it took multiple scandals for this action to be taken. This is another example of the lack of transparency and accountability in the Bush administration, and it's important for the public to continue to demand honesty and integrity from our leaders.

1. How was the 3rd pundit's involvement with the Bush Administration's payroll revealed?

The 3rd pundit's involvement with the Bush Administration's payroll was revealed through an investigation conducted by a reputable news source. They uncovered evidence showing financial ties between the pundit and the administration, potentially compromising their objectivity.

2. What impact does this revelation have on the credibility of the 3rd pundit's opinions and statements?

This revelation raises questions about the objectivity and impartiality of the 3rd pundit's opinions and statements. It may call into question the validity of their arguments and whether they are influenced by their financial ties to the administration.

3. Was the 3rd pundit aware that they were receiving payments from the Bush Administration?

It is unclear whether the 3rd pundit was aware of their financial ties to the Bush Administration. It is possible that they were not fully aware of the extent of their involvement or may have intentionally kept it hidden from the public.

4. How does this revelation reflect on the ethics and integrity of the Bush Administration?

This revelation raises concerns about the ethics and integrity of the Bush Administration. It suggests that they may have been attempting to manipulate public opinion by paying pundits to promote their agenda, rather than allowing for unbiased discussions and debates.

5. What measures can be taken to prevent similar situations in the future?

To prevent similar situations in the future, it is important for news sources to thoroughly investigate any potential financial ties between pundits and government officials. Additionally, pundits should be transparent about any financial relationships they have with political entities to maintain their credibility and avoid conflicts of interest.