Calculate force acting on rod to holding it stable.

In summary: So GC = L/2.you want to find angle GCAyou know the length of GA, and the angle CGA, and you can easily find the length of GCthen find the length of AC, and then the angle GCA
sareba

Homework Statement

A uniform rod AB of weight 20N is hinged at a fixed point A. A force acts at B holding it in equilibrium at 30 degrees to the vertical through A. calculate force acting at B if it is perpendicular to the rod.

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that the angle between the weight of the rod and the force on B is 60 degrees but i can't seem to find the angle between the weight and the normal reaction force at the hinge...

Physics news on Phys.org
hi sareba! :smile:
sareba said:
I figured that the angle between the weight of the rod and the force on B is 60 degrees but i can't seem to find the angle between the weight and the normal reaction force at the hinge...

easy …

there's only three forces on the rod, and so they must all go through the same point (why? :wink:),

so just draw the reaction force (it's not the normal reaction force, btw) so that it goes through the point where the other two forces meet :smile:

Thanks for the quick reply!
Yes. I did that. If the forces are in equilibrium they should meet at one point. But still I can't calculate the answer with just one force and one angle known... I am sure i am overlooking something... Here is a diagram i came up with... I need to find one of the angles with a question mark on them...

Attachments

• scan0001.pdf
    470.8 KB · Views: 267
sareba said:
Thanks for the quick reply!
Yes. I did that. If the forces are in equilibrium they should meet at one point. But still I can't calculate the answer with just one force and one angle known... I am sure i am overlooking something... Here is a diagram i came up with... I need to find one of the angles with a question mark on them...

ah yes, that's exactly the right diagram :smile:

ok, call that bottom point C, and the length of the rod 2L …

you want to find angle GCA

you know the length of GA, and the angle CGA, and you can easily find the length of GC

then find the length of AC, and then the angle GCA :wink:

I am sorry. I didnt quite follow you. How do i know the length of GA? Do you mean GC?

GA = L, half the length of the rod

1. What is the formula for calculating the force acting on a rod?

The formula for calculating the force acting on a rod is F = mg + ma, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass of the rod in kilograms, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and a is the acceleration of the rod in meters per second squared.

2. How do you determine the mass of the rod?

The mass of the rod can be determined by weighing it using a scale or by calculating it using the density and dimensions of the rod. The formula for calculating mass is m = pV, where m is the mass, p is the density, and V is the volume of the rod.

3. What is the role of gravity in calculating the force on the rod?

Gravity plays a crucial role in calculating the force on the rod as it is the force that pulls the rod towards the earth. The acceleration due to gravity (g) is used in the formula to account for this force.

4. How does acceleration factor into the calculation of force on the rod?

Acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's velocity is changing. In the formula for calculating force, acceleration is multiplied by the mass of the rod to determine the force needed to keep the rod stable.

5. Is the force acting on the rod constant?

No, the force acting on the rod is not always constant. It depends on the mass and acceleration of the rod, as well as any external forces acting on the rod. If there are changes in these factors, the force acting on the rod will also change.