Modern 1st Order Logic Book: Clear Exercises & Solutions

In summary, 1st order logic, also known as predicate logic, is a formal language used to represent and reason about relationships between objects and their properties. This book stands out from others in its clear and concise presentation of 1st order logic concepts and its extensive collection of exercises and solutions. Some familiarity with basic logic concepts, such as propositional logic, would be helpful but not necessary to understand this book. It can be used for both self-study and classroom use, and can benefit individuals in scientific fields by improving their logical reasoning skills.
tgt
What would be such a book which is modern and clear with good excercises and solutions?

Physics news on Phys.org
I myself tried Elliot Mendelson's textbook, it doesn't have solutions to questions in it (as most textbooks in mathematical logic don't have).

Another textbook which (but) I haven't tried, but everything the author writes is truly gold, is first order logic by Raymond Smullyan, the magiclogician.

I would recommend this book to anyone looking to improve their understanding and application of first-order logic. The combination of modern concepts, clear explanations, and challenging exercises with detailed solutions makes it a valuable resource for both beginners and experienced individuals in the field. By providing a strong foundation in first-order logic, this book can enhance critical thinking skills and aid in the development of logical reasoning abilities. Overall, it is a well-rounded and practical guide for anyone seeking to strengthen their knowledge in this area.

1. What is 1st order logic?

1st order logic, also known as predicate logic, is a formal language used to represent and reason about relationships between objects and their properties. It is a fundamental tool in mathematics, computer science, and philosophy.

2. What makes this book different from other logic books?

This book stands out from others in its clear and concise presentation of 1st order logic concepts and its extensive collection of exercises and solutions. It is designed to be accessible to both beginners and more advanced learners.

3. Do I need any prior knowledge to understand this book?

Some familiarity with basic logic concepts, such as propositional logic, would be helpful but not necessary. The book is structured in a way that allows readers to build upon their understanding as they progress through the chapters.

4. Can this book be used for self-study or is it better suited for classroom use?

This book can be used for both self-study and classroom use. The exercises and solutions make it a valuable resource for individual learners, while the clear explanations and examples make it a useful tool for instructors in a classroom setting.

5. How can this book benefit someone in a scientific field?

1st order logic is a fundamental tool in many scientific fields, such as mathematics, computer science, and philosophy. This book provides a comprehensive and practical understanding of 1st order logic, making it a valuable resource for scientists looking to improve their logical reasoning skills and apply them in their research.