2 exercises on changing variables of double integrals

In summary, for the given problem, the integral for part (a) is \int^3_2 \int^{(3-v)}_{(v-3)} \frac{\sqrt[3]u}{v}\,.dudv or \int^2_1 \int^{(v-1)}_{(1-v)} \frac{\sqrt[3]u}{v}\,.dudv, depending on the chosen vertices, and for part (b) is \int^{2\pi}_0 \int^{1-\cos \theta}_0 (\rho^2-\rho^3) \,.d\rho d\theta.
carlosbgois

Homework Statement

a) [itex]\int\int_{B}\frac{\sqrt[3]{y-x}}{1+y+x} dxdy[/itex], where B is the triangle with vertices [itex](0, 0), (1, 0), (0, 1)[/itex].

b)[itex]\int\int_{B}x dxdy[/itex] where B is the set, in the xy plane, limited by the cardioid [itex]ρ=1-cos(θ)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Let [itex]ψ: \left\{u = y-x, v = 1+y+x\right\}[/itex]. Then ψ has an inverse of class [itex]C^{1}[/itex], and the jacobian of this transform is [itex]\frac{-1}{2}[/itex], and also B is limited by [itex]x=0, y=0, y=-x+1[/itex], which over the ψ transform becomes, respectively [itex]v=u+1, v=-u-1, v=2[/itex]. For last, by drawing perpendicular u and v axis and limiting the region, I could see that the first two transforms intercept and [itex]v=0[/itex]. Then I did [itex]\frac{-1}{2}\int^{2}_{1}\left[\int^{v-1}_{1-v}\frac{\sqrt[3]{u}}{v} du\right]dv[/itex].

and I don't think this is going anywhere because most values of u inside the transformed B are negative, and the solution will have a complex part, which I'm sure it shouldn't.

b) (this attempt has a mistake, see edit below)As the cardiod is is polar coordinates, we may change x to those coordinates too, hence [itex]x=ρcos(θ)[/itex]. As the image of the cosine is [itex][-1, 1][/itex], then [itex]0≤ρ≤2[/itex], and I also made [itex]0≤θ≤2\pi[/itex], hence the integral becomes [itex]\int^{2\pi}_{0}\left[cos(θ)\int^{2}_{0}ρ^{2} dρ\right] dθ[/itex].

By solving this I got 0, and I don't think it's correct.

[EDIT]
b)
I found one mistakes in letter b: the interval for ρ is not as said before, it is [itex]0≤ρ≤1-cos(θ)[/itex], hence the 'correct' integral is [itex]\frac{1}{3}\int^{2\pi}_{0}cos(θ) (1-cos(θ))^{3} dθ.[/itex]

For solving this I have expanded the integrand and determined the first two terms using integration by parts, and the other two were direct. My result is [itex]\frac{-5\pi}{4}[/itex].

New questions: Is the result correct? Is there any faster way to integrate the expression, instead of expandind and evaluating term by term?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you got the vertices right in a)? That triangle indeed has half of it in the region where y<x, meaning you get a complex solution.

The answer to b) looks fine; you could try substituting 1-cos(theta) = sin(t) to make the integral slightly easier.

Thanks. I rechecked and the vertices are correct (according to the book). It gives a hint: make u=y-x, and v=1+y+x, which I did, but there`s no answer to the problem.

Using [itex]u=y-x[/itex] and [itex]v=1+y+x[/itex], find the Jacobian:
[tex]J=\frac{\partial (u,v)}{\partial (x,y)}[/tex]

Last edited:
If you want, you could try doing it with vertices (0,0), (0,1) and (1,1) instead. But the way that problem is given, it's clear that the solution should be complex unless there are some weird cancellations.

For part (a), you should get:
[tex]\int^3_2 \int^{(3-v)}_{(v-3)} \frac{\sqrt[3]u}{v}\,.dudv[/tex]
Or
[tex]\int^2_1 \int^{(v-1)}_{(1-v)} \frac{\sqrt[3]u}{v}\,.dudv[/tex]
I have attached the graph of the triangle in the u-v plane.

Attachments

• graph.png
    graph.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 438
For part (b), you should get:
[tex]\int^{2\pi}_0 \int^{1-\cos \theta}_0 (\rho^2-\rho^3) \,.d\rho d\theta[/tex]
See the attached graph.

Attachments

• graph2.png
    graph2.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 456
Last edited:

1. What are double integrals and why do we need to change variables?

Double integrals are mathematical tools used to calculate the volume under a curved surface in two-dimensional space. Changing variables in double integrals is necessary to simplify the integrand and make the calculation easier.

2. How do we change variables in double integrals?

To change variables in double integrals, we use the change of variables formula, which involves substituting the original variables with new variables and then adjusting the limits of integration accordingly.

3. What is the purpose of changing variables in double integrals?

The main purpose of changing variables in double integrals is to simplify the integrand and make the calculation easier. This can also help us to visualize and understand the problem better.

4. What are some common techniques for changing variables in double integrals?

Some common techniques for changing variables in double integrals include polar coordinates, spherical coordinates, and cylindrical coordinates. These techniques are often used to solve problems involving circular, spherical, or cylindrical shapes.

5. Are there any limitations or constraints when changing variables in double integrals?

Yes, there are some limitations and constraints when changing variables in double integrals. These include the need for the new variables to be continuous, differentiable, and have a one-to-one mapping with the original variables.